General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We don't have more motorcycle deaths than combat deaths! Don't believe that B.S. I ride to work on a military installation every day also. They do tend to tweak the reg occasionally to suit their liking. Try to get on Fort Gordon during the day without reflective gear. Even though they will not be able produce anything that says it's a requirement. TRADOC and Army Regs only require bright colored upper outer garments during the day and reflective at night. Often times I feel they make it a pain in the *** to try to deter Soldiers from riding at all. Sometimes I feel I'm going to have a heat stroke sitting on my bike with all that crap on while doing 25mph MAX!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
That's what I wear everyday when I go to work. Being retired USCG, it's just one of the many military rules you have to abide by. Go to Sears, get yourself one of those long sleeve bright orange reflective shirts that the road workers wear. I'm sure you have all the other gear.
I'm just not going to spend any money for additional gear and dress up like a clown in the heat of July just to visit their museum. There's plenty of other places to visit. I'm just giving people a heads up about wasting their time trying to visit military bases.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 AM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew that a few years ago (since retired) on Ft Bragg only the soldiers had to adhere to those rules. The civilians didn't have to wear that stuff. Maybe the rules have changed.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Relayer1974
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of the problem when it comes to the variance from one base to another is the freedom an installation commander has to add to established regulations as he or she sees fit. The reason the same base seems to have different regs from day to day is the previous issue plus the gate guards. Some guards will let you in with flip flops and a tank top if you begged enough. Others will call the MPs for talking back to them. It's not a perfect system and I don't pretend that it is. That goes for almost any system of law, miliary or otherwise.

As a service member, I find it a little insulting that anyone would think that they should get special treatment on a military installation because they aren't in the military. It's not like you're being asked to put on a uniform and salute the flag. It's just a dress code of sorts. You can't get a happy meal without a shirt&shoes and you can't get on base without the proper gear.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 AM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

In KS, at all PGR missions on base, the aforementioned clothing is required. As soon as you're on base we usually strip it off and ride OUT in whatever we want. Plus there are usually a high number of riders involved. Just the rules, nuttin' more......

Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garand
We don't have more motorcycle deaths than combat deaths! Don't believe that B.S.

According to the Stars & Stripes (and other sources) that does appear to be a true statement, at least for Marine personnel when comparing fatalities in Iraq and those dealing with motorcycle accidents.

(Below is part of a February 15, 2009 Stars & Stripes article)

By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cindy Fisher/S&S

KADENA AIR BASE, Okinawa — Fatalities among motorcycle riders in the U.S. military increased in 2008 — and for at least one service, they exceeded the number of combat deaths in Iraq.

More than 120 servicemembers were killed in motorcycle crashes in fiscal year 2008, up from 97 the year before, according to Defense Department Web sites. It’s a trend that has prompted safety officials to enhance the motorcycle safety program on Okinawa.

Twenty-five Marines died in motorcycle crashes worldwide in 2008, five more than the number of Marines killed in combat in Iraq over the same period. For the Corps, the number represented the most motorcycle-related deaths during any single year in the past decade.

Ane here is the full articles for those interested;

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...&article=60719

Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Redmondp
Tourer

The plain and simple reason I bought a bagger. Got to keep all the crap in the bags just to get on the base. Once off, the crap goes back in the bags. Clueless. I' am sure.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The MPs are just doing their job. DOD sets the policy.

I heard it was vehicle accidents in general account for more deaths than combat. I hadn't heard it narrowed down to motorcycles. I can believe the former.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 08-01-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

Every workplace has a set of rules for dress, when you go to work in an office you follow those, when you go to work in a garage, machine shop, or worksite you follow those, when you go to work on a base, you follow those. The MP should have stopped you as they are subordanates to the CO and command policy. If they don't enforce those policies, they catch the heat. If you god forbid got hurt while riding on the base and were not wearing the required riders gear, their (MP or gate security) *** would be hung out as a party to your accident for letting you in and the base CO catches heat from his superiors.

Never found it a big deal to have a helmet, jacket (or shirt), boots and gloves on when going to work on a base or shipyard. No different rules need apply to civilians or uniformed personnel. Out of habit I carry a long sleeve shirt or hoodie, they tend to come in handy at night anyway.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Duff
Tourer

Yep, I couldn't get my DOD stickers renewed (work on the base) unless I took the Exp riders course this year (every 3 years). PITA but it was good to practice the skills on a closed course.

The garment requirements is plain stupid. Long sleeves...I asked why since my button down dress shirt wouldn't last a second and their answer was to prevent dehydration from wind!!!! WTF?!? I then asked them about people in convertibles...Oh well already said "their house, their rules.

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's