General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its DOT helmet rule....if its a DOT its ok.,,...

Originally Posted by gburke70
Glad I left when I did. I left in JAN07 after a three year stint.

Has anyone heard the rumor about the military adding full face helmets as one of the PPE requirements?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That rumor about Navy and Air Force guys wearing chaps and g strings all leads back to an incident during Desert Storm where some Army divisions were told they may not make it back alive and were told that they could have one last wish granted to them as long as it was within reason. The general consensus of most of the men was to see men in chaps and g strings dance for them. They originally wanted Sailors and fly boys but this wish was not granted, instead they got Marines.
And now you know the rest of the story...

Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL....wow...id love to see the AMA tell an installation commander to ease up on the regs....LMAO....If the congressman comes riding to FT lewis he will be wearing his road guard vest to...shame on you MP for enforcing the post commander's safety regs....shame...

Originally Posted by Mark g
They F'ed you! The only laws they can hold a private citizen to are the one's put forth by the state. I'd be calling and complaining to your congressman...

Hope you have the MP's name!

What a bunch of Crap!!!! If your a AMA member I'd notify them as well.

I regularly ride through Fort indiantown gap in a cut off t-shirt ,jeans & shades. No lid. Never been messed with....

Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Ahh come on don't try to weasel out of your answer now. If you would think differently while trying to go on a closed base then why did you tell Bob (who was trying to ride onto a closed base) this...

I think you realize how laughable that was now
Yep, your right, I'd probably still bitch! but then again I ain't a military type or a cop and I don't dig giving up my rights....

You can call me stupid all you like, I'll call myself free... And I'll call you a ********.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by machpilot
Hes a simple solution....dont visit....if its to much of a hassle to abide by a simple rule then dont go...we in the military have to endure the orange saftey crap because of past issues...soldiers come back from deployments buy a rice burner and die...I was almost one of them 20 years ago....so the military does what ever it can to make sure these guys are protected and seen. Its a readiness issue as much as its the militarys way of protecting its assets....
I think a lot of people are missing the point here. We're civilians and we don't work on the base. They have a big sign on the turnpike to exit here to visit the Fort Sill museum. Tourists are obviously welcome. Their website didn't say anything about scooter trash not being welcome or anything about special gear requirements. I'd be willing to bet that no civilian cages are turned away because they don't meet some military specification. Like I said before, it wasn't that big of deal. There's plenty of other places to ride. Just don't waste your time planning a trip to visit a military site on your scooter. From the posts I've read here, it also appears that what is OK on one base may not be on the next.

http://sill-www.army.mil/museum/home%20page.htm

Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

yep...I don't see Bob doing any bashing here. He's giving us a warning.

And as an excellent example, The USAF museum here in Dayton sits on Wright Patterson air force base, and no special gear is required to ride in to the museum. The rest of the base does require gear though.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mark g
Yep, your right, I'd probably still bitch! but then again I ain't a military type or a cop and I don't dig giving up my rights....

You can call me stupid all you like, I'll call myself free... And I'll call you a ********.
It isn't giving up your rights to follow the rules, it's called not whining. I can tell you are not in any position of authority and I thank God for that.
Call me what you like but at least I'm not a whiner.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
I think a lot of people are missing the point here. We're civilians and we don't work on the base. They have a big sign on the turnpike to exit here to visit the Fort Sill museum. Tourists are obviously welcome. Their website didn't say anything about scooter trash not being welcome or anything about special gear requirements. I'd be willing to bet that no civilian cages are turned away because they don't meet some military specification. Like I said before, it wasn't that big of deal. There's plenty of other places to ride. Just don't waste your time planning a trip to visit a military site on your scooter. From the posts I've read here, it also appears that what is OK on one base may not be on the next.

http://sill-www.army.mil/museum/home%20page.htm
I bet the guard at the gate didn't say "scooter trash" wasn't welcome either. He just wanted you to follow the rules and wear what you are supposed to so you could enter the base. Pretty simple.
I have been told at the gate to put my seatbelt on before I could enter the base while in my car. I don't usually wear it but I put it on and didn't throw a hissy fit and leave.

I do agree though, if you don't want to follow the rules of the base then don't waste your time going there.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

and as a past USAF Security Policeman, I think I'm gonna tell everyone.... "Nothing to see here. Move along please"