General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark g
They F'ed you! The only laws they can hold a private citizen to are the one's put forth by the state. I'd be calling and complaining to your congressman...

Hope you have the MP's name!

What a bunch of Crap!!!! If your a AMA member I'd notify them as well.

I regularly ride through Fort indiantown gap in a cut off t-shirt ,jeans & shades. No lid. Never been messed with....
Are you serious?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wife and I were riding our BICYCLES few weeks back onto a public road section of Ft Dix when a DOD cop pulls us over. I chit you not. Red lights and all. I'm thinking WTH.

He proceeds to tell us that we can't ride onto the "reservation" w/o helmets. Base rule, not NJ law. Wasn't about to argue with him so we just turned around.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Wife and I were riding our BICYCLES few weeks back onto a public road section of Ft Dix when a DOD cop pulls us over. I chit you not. Red lights and all. I'm thinking WTH.

He proceeds to tell us that we can't ride onto the "reservation" w/o helmets. Base rule, not NJ law. Wasn't about to argue with him so we just turned around.
I hope you called the president. Dammit you are a civilian that pays taxes and you can do whatever the hell you like on this damn Earth!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I hope you called the president. Dammit you are a civilian that pays taxes and you can do whatever the hell you like on this damn Earth!
Never entered my mind to complain. Federal base can make it's own rules irrespective of State Laws. I have no problem with it, just found it amusing. Least he didn't give us a ticket.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
motordad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been in the military for over 32 years and being a leader I've learned that leaders are responsible for thier soldiers. Your sons and daughters. They have to sometimes make decisions that are not popular but neccesary for their welfare and also the welfare of civilans that work or visit at their post or work area. They do the risk assesments and make a determination that litigates as mush of the risk as possible.

MotorDad
CW3, ARMY, presently in IRAQ

Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark g
They F'ed you! The only laws they can hold a private citizen to are the one's put forth by the state. I'd be calling and complaining to your congressman...

Hope you have the MP's name!

What a bunch of Crap!!!! If your a AMA member I'd notify them as well.

I regularly ride through Fort indiantown gap in a cut off t-shirt ,jeans & shades. No lid. Never been messed with....

As a former Air Force Security Police, I can assure you, the MP's have the authority to deny you access to the installation.

You obviously have no knowledge of the military or it's workings, as your 'advice' on what to do is laughable.

Don't we have enough whiners in the world without someone making a big deal outta' nothing?

Follow the rules or drive down the road. Not hard.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by motordad
I've been in the military for over 32 years and being a leader I've learned that leaders are responsible for thier soldiers. Your sons and daughters. They have to sometimes make decisions that are not popular but neccesary for their welfare and also the welfare of civilans that work or visit at their post or work area. They do the risk assesments and make a determination that litigates as mush of the risk as possible.

MotorDad
CW3, ARMY, presently in IRAQ
If they want to mitigate as much risk as possible, why don't they require FF helmets and full m/c gear with armor at all times?

Last edited by mcrider1; 08-04-2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Some posts do require FF helmets. I wouldn't be surprised to see the trend spread to other posts.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
If they want to litigate as much risk as possible, why don't they require FF helmets and full m/c gear with armor at all times?

Ssshhhhhh.....don't say that too loud. They've finally relaxed a bit from what it was 10-20 years ago, don't need no more good ideas.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW. What a bunch of whining over something that doesn't effect alot of you. If you ride on a base you follow the rules. Everyone who enters the base knows this. They could've pulled you off to the side and searched your vehicle if they wanted to, nothing you could do about it. On some bases you're not even allowed to take pictures without permission. Other then a reflective vest you probably ride with most of that gear anyway.

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's