General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turned Away By Army MP's

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So you have to look like a goober to ride on the base?-No thanks-I don't even own half that stuff.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
There is the point, You were in the Navy. Your "Uncle" owned your a$$ as he did mine for a number of years. When owned "Uncle" tells you the whens, whats and how to's for everyday life.

Bob, and I agree with him, is a civilian. I told your "Uncle" to kiss my ...years ago when I received my discharge at the end of my obligated service. I'll be damned if I will let him dictate to me now.

To answer another question of "why be on the base as a civilian". If they did not want us there they wouldn't have tourist attractions to entice us. Put on airshows to show our strength, etc.

As Bob, I would have moved on rather than be dictated and made to conform to their idea of a motorcycle rider. Srew them.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, "lifer" was not a compliment.....'jus sayin.
Yep. That's right. I'm a civilian and I had no frigging idea about all the rules for motorcycles. I just wanted to visit the military museum and Geronimo's grave site. It's like WTF? Why do I need a reflective vest in the middle of the ***'n day? Whatever.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be screwed then, I like to ride in nothing but a thong bikini bottom..

Hey its comfortable man.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

And that is exactly what the consensus was early to mid seventies.

In that same time frame the consensus also was that bell bottoms and butterfly collars were some good looking and cool stuff. Luckily we progressed. jus' sayin'

Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donr101395
In that same time frame the consensus also was that bell bottoms and butterfly collars were some good looking and cool stuff. Luckily we progressed. jus' sayin'
And I hear they are making a comeback....

And to clear the air: I have the utmost respect for our men in uniform. My response about the "lifer" was directed to the 24 year wanting to dictate to us how it is and feeling he needed to show his "jacket".

Things can change and some things need to be changed.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
bassgod806
Cruiser

I am an active duty Marine who rides to work almost everyday and I don't have a problem with the rules. First of all, we are not required to wear reflective vests or bright colors anymore an ANY Marine Corps installation. Here is another thing, why is anyone listening to the civilian whiners here anyways? If you don't like it, shut the hell up! We have rules for a reason. What needs to be changed anyways? We make people go to BRC and ERC so that they are trained properly and the Marine Corps even pays for it! Our goal is to have fun and be safe because a life lost in an accident is a tragedy. I am all for people visiting our military bases to learn about us and our history but please just understand we have rules for a reason.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:45 PM
hincheec
Cruiser

This thread is full of fail.

I really have to laugh at all of the posters who have a problem with the military installation rules of entry. You were at the gates, you could have parked your bikes and walked to the museum. No dress code for walking. Someone would probably have given you a ride.

As far as the comments about you being a taxpayer and being entitled access. please.

I have learned from this board that many of you think I dress like a "clown" and a "goober" when I ride every day in my full face helmet, long sleeves and reflective vest. whatever. you are the same people who write long posts about people who drag their feet. you need lives. get out more. socialize. get a job maybe.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I served my time admirably.
First and foremost, thank you for your service.

But I wasn't scared of the real world and knew I could make it on my own. I didn't need an "Uncle" as a mommy substitute.
I wanted to be a Green Beret since I was a small kid. I became one in 1992 and have been in Special Forces ever since. I resent you saying that someone like me is scared of the real world. If you think being a professional soldier (lifer) in today's army doesn't require adult resposibilities, I can't help you. First termers are closely supervised, after that, it is time to grow up. Me? I am living the dream. How many of you can say you are doing what you wanted to be as a child?

Ya got a conflict join up do your job and go home....
If everyone did that, we would have a force that wouldn't know anything about combat except what they learned in their few months of training. Besides, what do you do when it is against terorism. When is that conflict over? When can you go home?

I realize this is a forum and things we type get lost in translation. I hope this is at least partially true for the post of yours I quoted.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 08-03-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God bless you man! Well spoken!

Originally Posted by gburke70
First and foremost, thank you for your service.

I wanted to be a Green Beret since I was a small kid. I became one in 1992 and have been in Special Forces ever since. I rensent you saying that someone like me is scared of the real world. If you think being a professional soldier (lifer) in today's army doesn't require adult resposibilities, I can't help you. First termers ae closely supervised, after that, it is time to grow up. Me? I am living the dream. How many of you can say you are doing what you wanted to be as a child?

If everyone did that, we would have a force that wouldn't know anything abouyt combat except what they learned in their few months of training. I love being a professional soldier.

I realize this is a forum and things we type get lost in translation. I hope this is at least partially true for the post of yours I quoted.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wanted to be a Green Beret since I was a small kid. I became one in 1992 and have been in Special Forces ever since. I resent you saying that someone like me is scared of the real world. If you think being a professional soldier (lifer) in today's army doesn't require adult resposibilities, I can't help you. First termers ae closely supervised, after that, it is time to grow up. Me? I am living the dream. How many of you can say you are doing what you wanted to be as a child?
Been there, done that.....And Thank You for your service. If you had read a little farther you would (I hope) see that this remark was not intended for ALL service members but one in particular.

I'm thankful for "professional military" and glad to hear you are living your dream.

Last edited by RoadKingRon1; 08-03-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Turned Away By Army MP's