General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009 | 12:33 PM
brickie
|
Cruiser
Default What do you guys do?

When stuck in traffic. The bike I'm referring to is in my sig. Had a little problem last week in North Conway Newhampshire. (I live in the northeast) Got stuck in slow moving traffic. Traffic was moving well enough where I didn't have time to shut it down to cool motor off. Anyway, after about 15 minutes of this she started getting pretty warm. Could feel the heat on my right thigh pretty good and then the check engine light along with key light (security) came on. Soon as those two lights came on I pulled over and shut it down for 20 minutes to cool. My riding bud on his 08 road king didn't have any problem. Outside temp was around 82 degrees. Oil temp (running Amsoil synthetic) was around 240 when the lights came on. Last fall I had a similar situation but that time it was 65 degrees out and I was stuck in traffic for around a half hour or so. I didn't have an oil temp dipstick then and it got hot enough that the motor started revving like a ''10 bastids'' so I pulled over and let it cool then all was fine. That time I was riding with a guy that had a '99 ultra and he had no problem with heat either. Do I have a problem with my scoot? Maybe a sensor or something? I'm going to be pretty apprehensive about going to any events where there is a good possibility af getting stuck in traffic. Asked my builder about this and he said because of the larger bore and higher compression ratio (9.8 - 1 which ain't bad) it would build heat quicker when not moving and he wasn't surprised it got hot that quickly. At speed it runs fairly cool at around 180 to 210 depending on outside temps. Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? Oil cooler maybe? Would that help any in traffic? I can see myself being the pain in the *** guy that has to keep pulling over to cool and pisses off the guys I'm riding with. Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping to find a solution to this problem.

Old 07-30-2009 | 12:44 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Something's wrong in my opinion. I would say add an oil cooler and if that doesnt' work, try remapping.

Last edited by barjbar; 07-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2009 | 12:51 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

oil cooler aint going to help much in traffic. Can they tweak that thunder max to richen up your Idle a little that should cool it down some. Not sure if you can with TM higher compression will heat up faster

Old 07-30-2009 | 12:54 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by barjbar
Something's wrong in my opinion. I would say add an oil cooler and if that doesnt' work, try remapping.
Isn't an oil cooler ineffective unless the bike is moving?

Old 07-30-2009 | 01:01 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

The 99 doesn't compensate for the heat like your 07 does. Different brain. There is a new oil cooler out that has a fan. It could help. A normal oil cooler works only if it has air flowing over the fins--the same problem your bike is having. They also make an auxiliary fan for parades that blows air across your jugs--this also might help. The solution I have for myself is too avoid stop and go traffic. The few times I have been caught on a stopped freeway I split the lanes and got off. One time on an interstate that was shutdown over a wreck. I parked in the medium under trees and took a nap till things started moving good. I don't let my bike idle till it gets so hot there is problems and I am breaking down my oil.

Last edited by oldairboater; 07-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2009 | 02:26 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Oldairboater told ya everything ya need to know. Lots of good info in his post!

Old 07-30-2009 | 02:43 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
The 99 doesn't compensate for the heat like your 07 does. Different brain. There is a new oil cooler out that has a fan. It could help. A normal oil cooler works only if it has air flowing over the fins--there same problem your bike is having. They also make an auxiliary fan for parades that blows air across your jugs--this also might help. The solution I have for myself is too avoid stop and go traffic. The few times I have been caught on a stopped freeway I split the lanes and got off. One time on an interstate that was shutdown over a wreck. I parked in the medium under trees and took a nap till things started moving good. I don't let my bike idle till it gets so hot there is problems and I am breaking down my oil.
The best answer you're going to get

Old 07-30-2009 | 03:14 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
From: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Oil coolers will still work even if there is no air movement, but they will work better when there is air movement.

Old 07-30-2009 | 03:26 PM
oct1949
Club Member

An oil cooler indeed will help a littttttle bit in heavy traffic, but its made to have air flow to get its real benefits unless it has a fan. Just think how a cars fans works now a days, only when needed.

in 21k. my 96" has shut down the rear jug one time, it was couple months ago while waiting for a train, 95*temp. After 7-8 mins, at 1st I didn't know WTS happened, then when I gave her a little gas she took right off.

Old 07-30-2009 | 07:24 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

If the engine light came on, you need to check and see if it stored a diagnostic code. My bike has been really hot and never had a light come on. We're talking oil around 270 in a parade once and no light. I don't think the light was heat realted. 240 is starting to push it but shouldn't cause an engine light.

Check for a code.

82 degrees is not that hot outside. Rode home today in traffic. It was 97. I purposefully did not buy an oil temp gauge on this bike because I obsessed over it on the last bike for no reason. Not sure what my oil temp was but I do this daily in traffic in temps over 100 and my bike hasn't had any heat related issues. It gets hot for sure but runs just fine.

I have a feeling your engine light and the temperature are not related. You might want to check your map on the Thundermax as well. As someone else mentioned, it may need to be tuned better. They are self tuning but still tune to a map. If the map is not right, it can't tune properly.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: What do you guys do?