General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn Informer

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kuryakyn Informer

Anybody running one of these and have problem with it recalibrating back to empty at dusk, low light and shadows from trees as you go buy. Tried to tape over the sensor and leave it that way, but that didn't work either. Each time I calibrate it back, I get the cal sweep and works fine in daylight for months, or darkness, but goes nuts at dusk, especially below 1/2 tank. Anybody find the secret to make it stable at low light conditions?
Ron

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
lowriderrob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try to get back to Kuryakyn? They may have some insight.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by lowriderrob
Did you try to get back to Kuryakyn? They may have some insight.
Yes I did. They said if it was under two years old they would swap it out. That really surprised me. That's fine and dandy but I've hear of other people having this problem too, so before I go through what might be a useless exercise I thought I'd ask if someone might have a way around this probably designed in quirk. Exchange will be my last option, depending on feedback from users.
Ron

Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Have no idea WTH an Informer is?

seen some on TV shows.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Daehawc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with mine that I put on about a year ago. I called Kury and they sent me a replacement no problem. Great customer service. From reading the new instructions and the old ones I think they changed the programing of it for that problem but tech support said they didnt know of any problem. Anyway, with the new one it will only reset when the tank is reads about 1/3 or less and only within the first two minutes of recieving power. No prolems since and I constantly ride during pinky time through trees in the same places that used to reset my old one.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Have no idea WTH an Informer is?

seen some on TV shows.
Looks to be a relatively expensive LED fuel gauge ....... Hmmmm, $125 vs. resetting the odometer at fill up ....... then again, to each his own, I don't have authority to judge. However, when I become king of the world, some of this sh$t is going to change!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by Daehawc
I had the same problem with mine that I put on about a year ago. I called Kury and they sent me a replacement no problem. Great customer service. From reading the new instructions and the old ones I think they changed the programing of it for that problem but tech support said they didnt know of any problem. Anyway, with the new one it will only reset when the tank is reads about 1/3 or less and only within the first two minutes of recieving power. No prolems since and I constantly ride during pinky time through trees in the same places that used to reset my old one.
Crap. Just checked and mine is over 2 years. Never the less the company would have covered it , had I got on the ball sooner. Doing more evening rides lately so it got my attention lately. I see there are two activation instructions with the later specifying time that calibration is possible and level of fuel of no more than 1/3. I may end up trying to calibrate at a lower level and see if it makes it more stable. I've noticed that above 1/2 tank the activation light never appears. Must be touchy on the sender resistance - activation point. Worst case, I'll buy a new one if needed. They work so damn nice, except for my little glitch.
Ron