General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint and repair is done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Paint and repair is done!

As many of you know I was the unfortunate recipient of a broken tourpack tether cable. This resulted in broken fiberglass on the tourpack lid as well as the side of the tourpack. After much OCD research I sent everything off to Mike in Placerville, California who runs Mikes Hawg Paint. Mike is also known as “Seattle Dyna” on Harley Tech Talk and other forums. I gave him my “vision”, the PPG paint number, new upgraded HD hinges, new stick on badging and he did the rest. I got everything back last week, got it all installed and wired up and here are the pics.

He repaired the fiberglass no problem. I was glad as I had another shop tell me to just buy another lid as it would be unrepairable. He also trimmed the lower outside edges of the lowers as I always seem to be scraping them in corners and during Ride Like A Pro West Coast demo rides. He also filled the holes in the saddlebag lid covers from where I removed the accent rails and repainted them. He even painted the filler strips that go between the saddlebags and the fender. I had everything shot in dark blue as I plan on changing the whole look eventually in phases. He even painted the rear tourpack light bar and that made for a nice package. All of this for a very reasonable price too I have to say.

Right Side

Right Rear

Rear Overview

Light Bar

Left Side

Front

Tour Pack Hinges

I plan on having the inner fairing done in dark blue. The outside of the front fairing will be redone with the dark blue over the light blue. The front fender will be cleaned up with no fender tip or chrome spears. Just a two-tone dark/light blue.

I’m really pleased. Did I mention that his work is top notch and very reasonable?
If you are considering any paint work please consider Mikes Hawg Paint. I'm very happy with it and like you I'm not easy to please.

Mark

Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks nice. How does that center stand work out for you, how much and hard to install?
MikeM

Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

That was using your head. Nice fix!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks great!!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
Looks nice. How does that center stand work out for you, how much and hard to install?
MikeM
Mike,

That's the RivCo centerstand. It was one of the first ones to hit the market. Now there are at least 3-4 others. Even HD makes one. It works great for cleaning the bike and parking it in my cramped garage. Sometimes it scrapes when I lean the bike over too far in a corner.

I'm not sure one is made to fit your FatBoy.

Mark

Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paniolo, happy to see that you've got a good paint guy. Obviously did a great job and for a good price. That's hard to find in SoCal. I've seen painters who do great work (but only when they feel like it) and also have the attitude that you're lucky to be doing business with them. We ditched that guy and went with somebody a little better than that. BTW, Nice looking bike!