General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Death

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Any time a rider goes down for the last time, it's sad!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Any time a rider goes down for the last time, it's sad!
Yep ....+1

Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Billie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by deadman77
First of all, any death is a tragic thing. Sorry for the family.

2nd, why do you want to point this out? Accidents happen all the time. Any car accidents that day?

3rd How can you have ANY idea that it was his fault and not some mechanical failure or something else?

I dont get it.

MikeM

I believe that he was trying to put across the point that it wasn't a CAGER that caused the accident. I've noticed all to often that people on this forum come across with the belief that cagers are idiot's and don't need to be on the road. Those who do think that way need to remember they too, are cagers at times.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
rides99fatboy
Cruiser

What I take away from posts about accidents, regardless of how they occur, is that I'm not invincible. As I get older, I tend to think more about what would I do differently if that we me they were writing about. Keeps me on my toes when I ride.

It just isn't necessary to point out someone's bad misfortune like he deserved what he got.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gonna be real hard to "blame himself" since he is dead! May have been his fault, may be not, in any event, it's sad...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
dub976
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's sad whenever any biker dies but.... I live right next to that exit and if you are speeding on that ramp, theirs a good chance that your going to go down. the exit has a bump just after the apex not too bad but if your really cooking (100+mph) it will buck you if your not completely in tune with whats going on. (i've gotten air born their before) I'm also willing to bet that he had no idea that it was even their and didn't take a slow lap to learn the road before he took his hot lap. the guy lives in Hampshire which is a solid hr away with normal traffic. so with knowing the area and seeing the marks on the road I'm thinking it was nobody else's fault but his own.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob
Can't blame anyone buy himself!

A Hampshire man died after losing control of his motorcycle and crashing while exiting the Elgin O'Hare Expressway Sunday evening in Roselle.
According to a Roselle Police press release, police were called to Gary Avenue just north of Travis Parkway about 6:41 p.m. Sunday. Once there, they found the crashed motorcycle, with the driver in serious condition.
The driver, whose name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, was taken to Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village, where he was pronounced dead at approximately 7:10 p.m., authorities said

According to the release, witnesses said the motorcyclist was traveling westbound on the expressway before exiting at Gary Avenue "at a high rate of speed."

"The crash team is still investigating, we are not officially saying the high speed was the cause of the accident," said Roselle Police Department's Public Information Officer, John R. Lawson.

The motorcycle driver was described by police as being in his 30s
CB-

Can I make a suggestion? I realize you're new here and for the most part you can post nearly anything you want here on the forum (within guidelines). That being said, I won't criticize you for your post; afterall you're new here and trying to share and discuss things with other members that may be of interest. It's not always easy knowing what topics will generate positive feedback or those that don't. It takes time to get a "feel" for what subjects members may be interested in and what subjects that are off limits. When it comes to this specific post, anything with the title, "Motorcycle Death" or anything that closely resembles that usually will not generate a positive feedback. Two points here that I'd like to make. First, it takes absolutely little to no effort to find a news article that was written and copy and paste it here to the forum. In this sense, you're really posting spam. You didn't think up the subject on your own...you didn't even write the article yourself. You simply cut and pasted an article...an article which some members may have already read. So the basic rule of thumb here is, don't cut and paste articles. We can read the news for ourselves. Second point is, when it comes to the subject of motorcycle fatalities, most of us here don't care to hear....or read about it (unless it effects you personally). At age 39, I've been riding on the streets for over half my life (23 years to be exact) I'm very much aware of the risks and hazards of riding motorcycles. I've been down more times than I'd care to admit and came very close to losing my own life in a motorcycle accident in '05. People here generally don't want or need the reminder. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine as a new member and no, you do not need our approval before posting. If you follow those basic guidelines, you'll find that you get a much more positive response in the future.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by tda69
CB-

Can I make a suggestion? I realize you're new here and for the most part you can post nearly anything you want here on the forum (within guidelines). That being said, I won't criticize you for your post; afterall you're new here and trying to share and discuss things with other members that may be of interest. It's not always easy knowing what topics will generate positive feedback or those that don't. It takes time to get a "feel" for what subjects members may be interested in and what subjects that are off limits. When it comes to this specific post, anything with the title, "Motorcycle Death" or anything that closely resembles that usually will not generate a positive feedback. Two points here that I'd like to make. First, it takes absolutely little to no effort to find a news article that was written and copy and paste it here to the forum. In this sense, you're really posting spam. You didn't think up the subject on your own...you didn't even write the article yourself. You simply cut and pasted an article...an article which some members may have already read. So the basic rule of thumb here is, don't cut and paste articles. We can read the news for ourselves. Second point is, when it comes to the subject of motorcycle fatalities, most of us here don't care to hear....or read about it (unless it effects you personally). At age 39, I've been riding on the streets for over half my life (23 years to be exact) I'm very much aware of the risks and hazards of riding motorcycles. I've been down more times than I'd care to admit and came very close to losing my own life in a motorcycle accident in '05. People here generally don't want or need the reminder. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine as a new member and no, you do not need our approval before posting. If you follow those basic guidelines, you'll find that you get a much more positive response in the future.

Well said. The cut & paste thread about an accident or death always made me wonder why the original poster put it up for viewing. I can see if he was involved, a witness, a friend or someone local that he knew & had a comment about the story. But just cut & paste threads about accidents or deaths just don't make sense to me.

BTW, if anyone heard about the 8 people, including 4 children under 10, that were killed in Westchester Co., NY this past weekend when the driver of a minivan with 5 kids in it got on the Taconic State parkway going in the wrong direction, it happened less than 1/2 a mile from my office. Totally tragic. My daughter passed the spot where it happened less the 5 minutes BEFORE the head on crash. Someone was watching out for her. Sad story.

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail....news_type=news

Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Well said. The cut & paste thread about an accident or death always made me wonder why the original poster put it up for viewing. I can see if he was involved, a witness, a friend or someone local that he knew & had a comment about the story. But just cut & paste threads about accidents or deaths just don't make sense to me.

BTW, if anyone heard about the 8 people, including 4 children under 10, that were killed in Westchester Co., NY this past weekend when the driver of a minivan with 5 kids in it got on the Taconic State parkway going in the wrong direction, it happened less than 1/2 a mile from my office. Totally tragic. My daughter passed the spot where it happened less the 5 minutes BEFORE the head on crash. Someone was watching out for her. Sad story.

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail....news_type=news
I've been wondering about that accident. It was the second one in the same day. Is that road really that confusing? Do many people get on going the wrong way? It really makes no sense to me.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogman
I've been wondering about that accident. It was the second one in the same day. Is that road really tat confusing? Do many people get on going the wrong way? It really makes no sense to me.

I really don't understand what she was thinking. I get on the Taconic Northbound at the same spot every night. If you enter on the right side of the entrance's center barrier it's the northbound entrance but if you mistakingly enter to the left of the barrier it's the northbound exit which is what she must have did. She probably accelerated into the traffic coming into her. What I don't understand is they said she has returned home from where she was before & she was headed back to Long Island which is south & there is no entrance to the southbound Taconic on 117. The nearest southbound entrance is 1/2 a mile north from Pleasantville Road. The only thing I can think of is that she may have thought she was getting on 9A south which is about 100 yards away from the Taconic entrance. Very strange.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Death