General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Buell Blast

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch1976
I thought that after Kawasaki had a hit with their re-designed 250 Ninja that we'd be seeing more smaller bikes from Buell, not less. It seems that there'd always be a market for a 500cc from Buell with new riders every spring. But I've been wrong before.

Edit:They were pretty generic looking bikes tho'.

I think the Ninja 250 makes equal if not more power though...

Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...so he is saying that Buell can make crap, but but but don't worry our other bikes are great! I don't know anything about the Blast but this commercial speaks volumes about Buell and its not great in my book. If they didn't want the Blast they should have just removed it from the lineup and let it pass.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:57 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "features" section on the Blast page is damn funny.

"Snug cockpit" "Tight suspension" "Short wheelbase"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow what do the run retail

Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found it amusing. I doubt Erik Buell ever wanted to make the Blast... something the MoCo probably pushed.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't get it

Old 07-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with Erik's candid comments. He said the Blast was an intro/beginner bike with limited qualities or appeal, he thought it gave people the wrong impression about the quality of Buell bikes, and he decided to quit making them and focus on building better performing bikes that sport bike riders want. I don't think we'll ever see a Harley exec be as candid about the shortcomings of some of the recent bikes the MOCO built.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Thump52
Stage I
Default It Fits a Niche

First, I think it's probably the biggest model seller Buell has on the line right now. With MSF using them for new riders. The bike continues to have a huge fan base for riders that like the old Thumper motors.

Secondly, I bought one for my wife and she has ridden it across the US 3 times (Tampa to Mich, Tampa to Maine and Tampa to Ontario). She has also completed the 1,000 mile in 24 hour Ironbutt ride on this Blast. The only problem I had to fix on the side of the road was a carb coupler that got a split in it. This is more miles on a Blast than most riders put on the big twins or Goldwings. Reliability and highway speeds were not a problem with the Blast. The Thumpers were used by many of the Old School riders and in my opinion, they still have a place in bike history.

I only changed the jets, shimmed the main needle and made minor adjustments to the idle. This because I added a D&D exhaust. Like most riders, for the kind of distance we ride, I had a custom seat made for the bike, Givi fairing added saddlebags. The bike works great and gets alot of attention from other riders.

This bike is not for every rider but for a 5' tall 100lb girl the design is perfect. It's light, corners great and has plenty of power to keep up with 80mph highway speeds all-day-long. It sits the rider up instead of leaned over.

All of this information is backed up at: http//www.whereismaggiemae.com

If I had the money, I would take Eriks inventory, and continue the line as a low cost sport touring bike for those that don't want something heavy, or need more power. I don't know why some riders are down on this little bike, but some riders are down on anything they don't own or think others should not be riding. I just wanted to add my experience with the Blast ( I don't ride one, but have been riding for over 30 years on all kinds of bikes).

Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Duff
Tourer

I always thought they were pretty cool little thumpers!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:31 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They were pretty generic looking bikes and, let's face it, 'Buell' doesn't have the brand-recognition among newer riders as Harley-Davidson or even Kawasaki. That Ninja 250, as noted above, has been one of the top 5 best-selling bikes in the US for goodness knows how long. And the redesign in '08 pretty much sealed that ranking for another ten years. You get a hell of a lot of bike in a Ninja 250, and it's fairly upright (more 'standard' than 'sportbike'). Plus, you can't really outgrow one--there are some obsessive 250 track guys out there who do unspeakable things on those little Ninjas. New riders like the idea that they buying something 'real,' not just a stepping stone (even though they are.) And it looks cool.

But it seems like the Blast was marketed solely to those who took the HD Rider's Edge course. Talk about a niche market....

I wonder how many people who never took Rider's Edge bought a Blast...

Quick Reply: 2010 Buell Blast