General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justjohn
Even Harley riders can get smart, well most can, well maybe, sometimes?

Almsot as smart as this, at least they have a helmet on...

Old 07-27-2009, 11:53 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I have no idea if FF helmets are gaining ground but I do know something. I won't wear one. I went from a 1/2 helmet to lidless (3 years) to back to 1/2 helmet and I think that's all I'll ever wear.
My opinion is that FF helmets take away some of the pleasure. Again, just my opinion; you guys wear whatever you want.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:12 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
I think most just wear them on long trips for reasons you mentioned, sun, rain, etc.

I personally don't like them, they take away from the joy of the ride for me. I usually plan around states that require helmets, and have a bucket tied to my bag in case I enter a state that requires it.

My only observation form the South West was that I only saw Harleys within 15 minutes or a major town. Once you were on the "real" highways and backroads, it was all BMWs and Hondas.
I live in a rural area of AZ. Harley’s predominate; it is rare to see other makes.

In regards to the original question, not many Harley riders wear FF helmets in this area. However, I am an exception as I do wear one. One reason is that a FF provides me with protection from the heat.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Dutch110
Tourer

Alot comes down to comfort and personal preferance. Coming from the racetrack, anything but a full face helmet feels out of place to me. It's just what I'm used to. Tried a half helmet and didn't like it. Didn't like getting whacked in the face with bugs and road debris. I also just got a cammo leather vest from Icon which has a back protector sewn in. I am the anti Pirate

Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think more people are becoming more educated on equipment vs. wearing something just because it looks "cool". My reasons for wearing a full face helmet are attached. A picture as they say is worth 1000 words.

Attached Thumbnails Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?-images.jpeg  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have only worn a full face twice, on long highway trips, and I am investing in one for future highway trips or when it is pouring out.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
hincheec
Cruiser

here in south carolina most cruiser riders (no mater what brand) wear no helmet at all. sport bike riders almost all wear full face helmets plus protective gear. the difference is striking and obvious.

at the myrtle beach spring rally, I was the only full face helmet wearer I spotted the whole week. some half helmets and some beanies, but almost exclusively no helmets.

I have not seen any trend toward harley riders wearing full face helmets.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
caseman
Novice

I have a theory:

I started riding street bikes when I was 14 (legal in South Dakota), and there it was required to wear one until I was 18. So for 4 years I was in a full face helmet, then when I could go without I couldn't stand not having the clear vision with the visor. As younger and younger riders start getting Harley's, they will have become accustomed to the helmet having not had the choice.

You old farts probably weren't even required to have handlebars on your bike back in the day! j/k

As for Denver Metro area, I've seen maybe 3 other people with FF helmet.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Ohio is a helmet free state. I've notice majority of metric riders wear FF helmets, but Goldwingers go 3/4. I very seldom see a HD rider with a helmet in my area? They are far and few in between. I wear a 3/4 in cooler temps and 1/2 (beanie) June-September. 23 years ago I owned a FF Bell. I looked like a NASA astronaut lost on a Beamer.....

Old 07-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

based on this thread, I wore my FF into work this morning for a little test. I have not worn this helmet since I sold my sportster. All I can say is, I cannot wait to get home and get it off. For some reason it is catching so much wind the noise is unbearable, I cannot even hear the radio at any volume. I am sure it is just the helmet shape, design, or something as I never had the noise when used with the sportster.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?