General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:45 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,094 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Originally Posted by pepperoniPITA
How do you know you were "by far the more comfortable"? If your friend isn't used to wearing a half-helmet very often, then I presume he bitched a lot, and that justifies your quote, correct? If he wears one always and *didn't* bitch, how do you justify your quote?

Thank you, Perry Mason. Excellent interrogation.

I wear a half-helmet exclusively, though I've worn a full face before, and in my opinion, it's far more comfortable wearing the half than the full face.

It's that thing about noticing stuff...like if you get a new car and suddenly you seem to see a whole lot of those kinds of cars on the road. You put on a full face helmet and now you seem to notice there's more of them. Doesn't actually mean there's 'more', you're just noticing them more is all.
Thank you again, this time for interpreting for me what I saw, and why I saw it. Very helpful.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:56 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Thank you again, this time for interpreting for me what I saw, and why I saw it. Very helpful.
Are you sure you even wear a helmet? ( JK )
I wear a FF, in SW Florida, which puts me in the 1% category
down here.
Tom

Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Are you sure you even wear a helmet? ( JK )
I wear a FF, in SW Florida, which puts me in the 1% category
down here.
Tom
C'mon now, that bike's too purty to belong to a 1%er.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer the OP original question. YES! I do think more HD riders are wearing full face helmets. Look at how many answered in the affirmative on your post.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in Central Texas, most of the crotch rockets have full face helmets, but the cruiser guys seem to be split between half helmets, or none at all.

I wear a 3/4, and I don't see a lot of other riders wearing them, except for Goldwingers.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello all

While I am a new first time Harley owner (09 Road King) I have bening riding motorcyces sence I was 14. I've always lived somewhere helmets were manditory till now.

In Texas helmets arn't required. So sence buying my bike the only head protect has be a bandana. I were glasses so I've been wearing so over the glasses sun glass but with them anything over 65 MPH is uncomfortable.

I've also be caught in several of the south east texas thunderstorms and in a construction zone with no exits for several miles. Well, I manned up and pushed though the storm. Not fun at all!!!!

I resently found a Hawk 3/4 helmet on line for 69.00. and the reason I mention this is that it had some enteresting features. First, it had several vents to help keep you cool. It has a clear flip-up visor, But the best feature is a fighter pilot style slide down tinted visor.

I only used it a few times but I am much more comfortable at higer speeds with it.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Half helmet for me. ----------Full helmet WAY too hot! Even in the winter months.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 PM
BrentsterS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First season rider with 4500 miles logged. Street Bob owner with full face Harley helmet. I see some rider groups where there are no helmet wearers; their perogative. I personally love the look of my Street Bob but don't think it would look too sexy with a windshield. My next bike will be a RKC and I'll probably remove the windshield.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:02 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I have one of the flip front helmets. Very handy in traffic. When in the full-up position it tends to catch a lot of wind. My helmet choices range from none to FF depending on my mood and the conditions.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:04 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm most comfortable with no helmet. In fact, I've never owned one and have been riding for 20 years. I borrowed a half helmet when I first went for my endorsement, but that was the only time. Hated it!

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?