General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
pepperoniPITA
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
<snip>

Over the course of the trip, I was by far the more comfortable. I could have the face shield up or down; I didn't worry about sunburn, wind or rain. When in town I could have the whole front up (though that's not recommended); or I could just flip it up when getting gas or wanting to talk at a stop.
How do you know you were "by far the more comfortable"? If your friend isn't used to wearing a half-helmet very often, then I presume he bitched a lot, and that justifies your quote, correct? If he wears one always and *didn't* bitch, how do you justify your quote?

I wear a half-helmet exclusively, though I've worn a full face before, and in my opinion, it's far more comfortable wearing the half than the full face.

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
During the trip, I was totally surprised to see that at least 70% (I'm guessing at the number -- I mean a LOT) of Harley riders we encountered wore full face helmets, with the rest split between half-helmets and 3/4 helmets. This came as a total surprise to me.

So here's my question: Is it just my imagination or is there a rising trend toward full face helmets among Harley riders? Or do many just decide to wear them during long trips? Or was it a fluke?
It's that thing about noticing stuff...like if you get a new car and suddenly you seem to see a whole lot of those kinds of cars on the road. You put on a full face helmet and now you seem to notice there's more of them. Doesn't actually mean there's 'more', you're just noticing them more is all.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:20 PM
jg848
Advanced

I like the 3/4 helmet, and I might get one. But I have always worn a full face after spending years on a sportbike and having seen lot's of guys hit the pavement. Nobody ever thinks that this will happen to them, but at some point it will on a long enough time line. Having my jaw wired shut after a spill on the pavement is not my idea of a good time.

I also wear my Alpinestars race back protector under my Vanson. Frankly I want as much protection around my face and spine as I can get with all of those bad cagers out there. Here in DC they are out everyday in full-force. I had my neck broken in an accident back in 2002, so I am partial to good gear. I recall the fire department scraping me off of I-35 near Kansas City. It was an eye-opener.

Last edited by jg848; 07-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
1st HD
Outstanding HDF Member

I wear a 3/4 helmet most of the time. Most Harley riders in my area don't wear a helmet at all. So I guess I'm in the minority.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:06 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be wearing my FF from Memphis to Sturgis this week.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
betchaan
Advanced

Never been comfortable wearing a full face, but a lot of harley riders in the UK have full face due to the cold factor

Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be wearing my FF from NW Louisiana to Sturgis. Most likely will not wear any helmet in and around Sturgis.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Only wear a full-face if it's really cold out

Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If someone is comfortable in a full face helmet, then more power to them. Their head will by far be better protected should they have a crash.

That said, I don't like wearing a full face helmet. In the Texas heat they are hot to wear, and I just feel like I have a big wind catching bucket ontop of my head. My neck feels fatigued after a long ride because of it. That probably wouldn't be as much a problem if I had a windshield, but that's another topic. I also don't feel I can see or hear as well with the full face helmet on.

Most of the time I wear a novelty beanie style helmet that would offer little to no protection in a crash. It is comfortable though.

I do wear my full face in the winter time when the temperate is in the low fifties or colder. But, that is more for protection from the cold, than protection from the asphalt.

What was the question again?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear a full face when on long trips, when its cool out, if there is a good chance of rain and if riding alone for 100 to 200 mile trip. I have speakers in the helmet as well.

I have noticed more wearing helmets in general when in non-helmet law states and full face helmets on the rise as well.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:42 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
Only wear a full-face if it's really cold out
+1

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?