General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a trailer, to pull behind the bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:12 AM
RetroHarley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy a trailer, to pull behind the bike!

I was driving from Sioux Falls to Omaha today and a Heritage Classic went screaming by me (at 80+ MPH) pulling a small trailer with a duffel bag bungied to the top. It got me to thinking, why aren't I riding now? I could ride the bike from Minneapolis to Omaha (I'm in sales) if I could haul all the things I needed (clothes, samples, computer, brief case, etc).

A trailer would do it, does anybody else pull a trailer behind the bike? Would love t hear the stories of how you use it outside of road trip vacations.

How often do you use it?
What kind of trailer?
What kind of hitch?
Price?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to buy a trailer, to pull behind the bike!

I have a friend that owns a Bushtec. The unit is absolutely rock solid, no matter what the road conditions are. No bounce, weave, wheel-hop, etc. He tows it behind his '03 Heritage Springer.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've looked, not ready to buy one. Bush tec has the best as far as I am concerned. You are dragging something and more weight. It does lower your mileage and I personally would upgrade at least with a bore kit.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pull one on any trip I make. I am on my second trailer now. It is far superior to the other "no name trailer" I had. I have a Bushtec Quantum. It is one solid trailer and pulls like a dream. The business is in Tennessee that makes them. Family owned business. Super nice folks that really stand behind their product. I went for years looking like a pack mule going down the highway. Once I started using the trailer I asked myself why I hadn't bought one sooner.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:43 AM
steveokla
Tourer

I have pulled a Bushtec behind my former GL1800....now pull an Escapade behind my Ultra. Both trailers are great. Really don't have a preference of one over the other. Personally, We pull the trailer of course when going out of town on trips. We have the standard ball hitch mounted to the bike. I think I apid around $3,700 for the trailer...

Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Beavis
Cruiser

I have a Bushtec Roadstar that I purchased directly from Bushtec via the internet. Last Sunday I returned home from a 3,400 mile trip and have to say the trailer is truly "top notch". It doesn't bounce, and I know you'll hear this time and time again; but you don't know it is behind you unless you see it in your mirrors. I usually average 45 mpg without the trailer and 38-40 mpg with the trailer. Each year, Bushtec builds "Rally" models which they haul around to different motorcycle rallies across the united states. At the end of the year they sell them for a very nice discount. I'm a finacially conservative ( CHEAP ) person, but feel that the purchase of my trailer was 100% the right thing to do. Traveling 2 up, a person needs the space.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Lpye
Road Captain

i just finished a 450 mile day pulling my trailer fully loaded with ten days of clothes for two people. Riding two up at Interstate speeds I averaged 42 mpg on a bone stock flhtcui. Plenty of power and losing about 3-4 mpg difference if not towing.