General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Heritage?

Hello all,
I have been reading here for a while but dont post much.
I started out 2 yrs ago on my first Harley, a 2005 1200 custom, really liked it but the wife wanted to ride with me all the time.
Now im 300 lbs (working on slimming down), and the sporty just wasnt enough bike.
I started out wanting a Heritage softail classic, but every dealer I visted said I needed a touring bike.
I traded last year for a 2005 Electra Glide Classic.
It now has 30,000 on it and as long as I ride by myself I have good control of it, but with the wife on the back it can get harry at stops at times.
Im short legged and I have lowered the back 1 inch and have tried a reach seat but the seat sucked as it moves you forward and I dont need to go forward.
I went the other week and test rode a a new 09 heritage and it fits me perfect, low enough to the ground that I can plant my feet firmly, and I like the way you sit in the bike instead of "on" it.
I have negoiated a deal with the dealer to trade my Electra Glide in on a 2010 heritage, but he keeps telling me im not gonna like it or be happy with it. Why?
It fits better for me, im more comfortable and confident riding the Heritage.
Who rides a heritage Thats my size? with a passenger around 180Lbs. Is the heritage enough bike?
We only ride maybe a 100 or so miles at the time a few times a week, other times its just me.
What do you folks think?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

They really push the touring bikes for larger people, especially those that will be riding two up most of the time.

Personally, I think the Heritage would be fine as long as you stiffen up the rear shocks preload.

I'm leaning very seriously toward the Heritage myself. There's no reason that can't haul two people across the country.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you demoed a Streetglide. My Heritage fits me better than any Harley I've tried with the possible exception of a Deluxe.

Been toying with the idea of moving up to a tourer, specifically the Streetglide. It's the lowest of the tourers. Stock it fits me okay though nowhere near as comfortable as my Heritage.

But I sat on an 09 SG last week that had an aftermarket seat and bars on it. Amazing difference. Perfect fit.

I think the Heritage will be fine for your purposes especially if you put a touring pillion on it. But I think a tourer would be better.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

jimmers, the heritage is listed as having a seat height of 647.7 mm laden and 688.34 unladen
the street glide is 668.02 and 693.42

I have test rode a street glide in 08 and it did fit fairly well, but still had that on bike feel.
It seems that the bars, seat and height all just fit me perfect on a heritage.
The only things I would need to add would be an engine guard and highway pegs, and after a while an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:22 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Oh forgot to mention, that last year (09), when they changed the touring bikes rear swingarm, that now a streetglide doesnt even fit me as good as it did before.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM
jokerx
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Heritage is a very comfortable bike...put a lot of touring miles on mine. Replaced the seat with a Mustang saddle with backrest and wide passenger pillion and I could put as many miles on that scoot as I do my SG. Don't really notice too much difference between the ride on my Heritage and my SG.

Edited to add, you'll loose ground clearance, so if you push it through the twisties, you'll scrape the Heritage's floor boards more than your UC.

Last edited by jokerx; 07-25-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:57 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jokerx
The Heritage is a very comfortable bike...put a lot of touring miles on mine. Replaced the seat with a Mustang saddle with backrest and wide passenger pillion and I could put as many miles on that scoot as I do my SG. Don't really notice too much difference between the ride on my Heritage and my SG.

Edited to add, you'll loose ground clearance, so if you push it through the twisties, you'll scrape the Heritage's floor boards more than your UC.
Thanx for your response, you having had and ridden both bikes give a good opinion.
I like the fact that the heritage also can be stripped down or dressed up very easy.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heritage is a great 2 up bike. Wife and i put on 2000 miles in 4 days without a hitch. From PA to Georgia to Missouri to Kentucky and back to PA. Been to Vermont and New Hampshire thru New York and home. I never did anything to the shocks. Bike was loaded down wife 140lbs and i 190lbs. No problems at all.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:11 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking into the new SE street glide. Wife gave me the go ahead tonight to get one.
wish me luck.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:36 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ltmdl90
I am looking into the new SE street glide. Wife gave me the go ahead tonight to get one.
wish me luck.
Good luck to you on getting your SE street glide.
Your heritage that you have in your avitar is the exact colour I want.

Quick Reply: New Heritage?