General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Horns Save Lives

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:01 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,123 Likes on 5,319 Posts
Default Loud Horns Save Lives

I was riding down the main drag in Kanab, Utah, a couple of weeks ago on a trip when I saw a pickup truck on my right waiting to turn left and enter the main road. He was looking to his right as he began to pull out -- and he continued pulling out without ever looking left. So I slowed down and hit the horn, and -- nothing. He never heard it. Right then and there I decided that wasn't going to happen again.

After a lot of research on air horns I ended up with this one: the Mini-Beast II from Pro-Pad. I installed it this morning.

First, I like the look. To me, it looks as though it belongs on the bike. The chrome is very nice, appears to be HD quality. They also make it in gloss black and crinkle black finishes. It may look slightly large, but all the components are hidden behind the cover.

It comes with its own wiring harness, which couldn't be simpler. One end attaches to the battery, the other to the horn and compressor. The hardest part of the installation is removing the seat and putting it back on. All in all it's a 20-minute installation.

The horn is LOUD, and has two tones, high and low. I hit it this morning while passing a Ford Expedition whose driver was on a cell phone with the windows rolled up and who was edging over the lane marker, and the driver made a violent correction away from the sound.

I highly recommend this item from both a quality and aesthetic standpoint. You can find it online for under $150.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:04 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks good. Nice install.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:41 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does look good. How loud is it to you sitting in the seat? I would like a louder horn but I don't want it aimed where it makes my ears ring worse.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:09 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,123 Likes on 5,319 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Does look good. How loud is it to you sitting in the seat? I would like a louder horn but I don't want it aimed where it makes my ears ring worse.
I have tinnitus as well, so I wear earplugs when I ride. The new horn sounds loud, but not earsplitting, with the earplugs. Without them, I imagine it would sound REALLY loud. But to me, that's all to the good. Before, I could barely even hear the stock horn.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yep...here is mine, if you want to listen (pro pad mini beast 2..but in gloss black)

Stock vs. Mini Beast2

Old 07-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vertigo sounds nice thanks for posting that up

Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my eye on that horn for awhile. I just might need to get one.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Really need a DB reading to compare how loud any horn is.

At work, before I retired, we made horns for GM cars, to get a really good sound U have to use two or more different notes. Just as the one above..
U can put 2-3 horns of the same note together and the total sound output are not increased very much.

Last edited by oct1949; 07-25-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:24 PM
BlackDenimBob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the horn I have...not sure how different mfgrs measure their horns but its rated lower than the Stebel,which is pretty loud,but the Rivco is much louder....no damned way I would crouch in front of mine like this guy...I have lost about 30% of my hearing and the horn is still loud as hell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j04hkEkEBeA

Old 07-25-2009, 09:40 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While your stock horn gives off an estimated 85 dB of sound, the Mini-Beast horn blasts 128 dB

The mini beast 2 is like 138 dB

Quick Reply: Loud Horns Save Lives