General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend needs Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Spartacus55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aa

I haven't found the need to pick up a drink or a drug in around 7 years thanks to aa and a higher power i call GOD. Don't worry aa is not a religious program it's a spiritual one. Dial information and ask for the local aa office in your area they will let you know where the nearest mtgs are held and the phone # to that groups mtg place and yes they will find someone to pick you up and take you to and from the mtg,
good luck rick (spartacus)

Old 07-26-2009, 05:48 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I can assume that you are referring to me, and a couple of people that posted similar responses.
First of all do not ASSume anything, unless you wanna make an *** out of u and me, but for the record you are correct.
Second Alcoholism is a disease, just like cancer or multiple sclerosis. Sure we the people give it to ourselves, but we also give ourselves cancer, diabetes, aids, herpes and more.

I once heard (be it many years ago) A friend in need is a friend in deed, maybe that phrase doesn't fit in to your world anymore (and that is the PROBLEM with people today). Now tell me, if a friend came to you and asked for help because he had cancer would you be willing to help him? Or tell him to suck it up? The fact that this person admitted that he needs help is a huge accomplishment, How many time have you asked for help with anything (your male, admit it) very little? Now ask yourself this, if the same friend came to you and said my family doesn't have any food, can you help, what would be your reply? (remember he is asking for your HELP). It is people like you and other that make a bad day worse! it is reasons like this that people don't get involved when they witness a crime (because they don't want to help). In todays world it is every man for himself (be it man, woman, or child).

Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
First of all do not ASSume anything, unless you wanna make an *** out of u and me, but for the record you are correct.
Second Alcoholism is a disease, just like cancer or multiple sclerosis. Sure we the people give it to ourselves, but we also give ourselves cancer, diabetes, aids, herpes and more.

I once heard (be it many years ago) A friend in need is a friend in deed, maybe that phrase doesn't fit in to your world anymore (and that is the PROBLEM with people today). Now tell me, if a friend came to you and asked for help because he had cancer would you be willing to help him? Or tell him to suck it up? The fact that this person admitted that he needs help is a huge accomplishment, How many time have you asked for help with anything (your male, admit it) very little? Now ask yourself this, if the same friend came to you and said my family doesn't have any food, can you help, what would be your reply? (remember he is asking for your HELP). It is people like you and other that make a bad day worse! it is reasons like this that people don't get involved when they witness a crime (because they don't want to help). In todays world it is every man for himself (be it man, woman, or child).

There are many ways to help a person. I do believe you misunderstand my take on this.

I would of course help any person requesting that help. But I wouldn't hold their hand, and I wouldn't coddle them thru anything. I'd help them stand-up and face whatever it is head on.

Too many people today, on both side of the spectrum, think that someone else should shoulder their problems and deal with them so they don't have to. Exactly the same thing we currently have going on in our government today.

So yeah, provide them with help. A swift kick in the butt to stand up and do what's right. Anyone can kick the habit. They just have to have the cajones to stand up and do it. Some do, some don't. I've got relatives on both sides of the issue. I myself stopped drinking when it got to the point that I HAD to have a drink. Too many people use alcohol and drugs to escape their real problems out in the world.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:50 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
There are many ways to help a person. I do believe you misunderstand my take on this.

I would of course help any person requesting that help. But I wouldn't hold their hand, and I wouldn't coddle them thru anything. I'd help them stand-up and face whatever it is head on.

Too many people today, on both side of the spectrum, think that someone else should shoulder their problems and deal with them so they don't have to. Exactly the same thing we currently have going on in our government today.

So yeah, provide them with help. A swift kick in the butt to stand up and do what's right. Anyone can kick the habit. They just have to have the cajones to stand up and do it. Some do, some don't. I've got relatives on both sides of the issue. I myself stopped drinking when it got to the point that I HAD to have a drink. Too many people use alcohol and drugs to escape their real problems out in the world.
Okay, as I too would never (as you would say it) "hold their hand", BUT what I read was it wasn't your problem (maybe not to them exact words), that is what I was going on about, the fact that anyone has asked for support says a lot about the person. Offer them ways to help themselves is one approach, the other is to see them on their way, at least by attending the first meeting with them, or just getting rid of all of the booze, nothing wrong with attending an AA meeting, especially if you too drink (who knows your friend might be helping you back). I quit drinking over two years ago, never went to any meetings but I had friends that did not drink, so instead of hanging out with friends at bars I would hang out with the one that didn't drink. I know first hand how hard it is to stop, ever ounce of support you get is worth a pound of cure.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:55 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess ignorance is bliss. That's all I'm gonna say.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtkRWC
I have a buddy who rides, not with me too much but he rides. We met up the other day and for some reason he confided in me. Actually he asked for help. Him and his wife are splitting up and he is having problems with his drinking. He needs help. I suggested AA but don’t know how to get him into the group. Maybe someone here can help me point him in the direction. Thanks…
Call the nearest courthouse. I am sure someone there can get you the number for AA. With all the DUI cases I am sure they have a list. I commend you for helping a friend.