General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend needs Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
you partner needs to do this himself nothing wrong with encouragement but ultimately it's his show
PLEASE don't beat your self up if he relapses.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:08 PM
deepspace
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I don't mean to sound cold hearted here, but probably the best advise you could give him is to man-up and stop feeling sorry for himself. He can turn it around all by himself if he really wants to.
+1 .... Just give him a mirror.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:47 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I had a friend ask me to help him with his drinking once, so, I used to go to his house every night & drink half his beer.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I had a friend ask me to help him with his drinking once, so, I used to go to his house every night & drink half his beer.
some friend you are. you should have drank all his beer!

i agree with some of the other posters. if he is indeed a good friend of yours, then you get to shoulder some of his burden for him.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a feeling that some of the people around here wouldn't even help out their own mother! what a waste of space some people are! I also get the feeling that with some of the people here that if the whole show isn't about them they could care less. I have news for y'all, I would not even **** in your mouth if your teeth were on fire!

Last edited by dope_man_21; 07-25-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:46 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
I have a feeling that some of the people around here wouldn't even help out their own mother! what a waste of space some people are! I also get the feeling that with some of the people here that if the whole show isn't about them they could care less. I have news for y'all, I would not even **** in your mouth if your teeth were on fire!

I can assume that you are referring to me, and a couple of people that posted similar responses.

First of all, if my teeth were on fire, I'd really appreciate it if you DIDN'T **** in my mouth.

Second, I have no problem with anyone that wants to help out a friend. But in many, many cases, the best help you can provide is to shake them up enough to get it thru to them that they can do it without help.

Letting someone constantly cry on your shoulder is only make a crutch out of you. They'll never be able to do anything without first running by you to see if it's okay. Make them grow up again and make their own decisions, and then learn to live with those decisions.

What's the old saying, "Teach someone to fish, and they'll never be hungry. But catch the fish for them, and they'll always be there with their hands out" ?? Or something like that. This is how welfare got out of control.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:28 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
What's the old saying, "Teach someone to fish, and they'll never be hungry. But catch the fish for them, and they'll always be there with their hands out" ?? Or something like that. This is how welfare got out of control.
The saying is;

"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for one day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit around in a boat and drink beer all day."

Maybe the OP's friend just spends too much time fishing.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:40 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
The saying is;

"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for one day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit around in a boat and drink beer all day."

Maybe the OP's friend just spends too much time fishing.

LMAO!!! Man, Dr. Pepper hurts coming out the nostrils!!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
kc5gxc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is talking about his problem. He is ready for a little help. Call AA in the phone book or call the local hospital or and ask where AA meets. They will know.
They have open meeting day or days when anyone can come. Go with him on that day/nite. Drink some coffee there...shoot the ****.....it is seldom you will meet people so open and honest.
Get him started. That's what buds are for.
Hardest part is going in the door for the first time. Don't have to say anything if you don't want to....but this will get him aware of it and he will go back if he truly feels the need......it is a great group therapy organization.
Booze, out of control....is a horrible drug. I know...I been hitting the meetings for 20 years. Best thing that ever happened to me.
Good luck..............Pete

Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by teamstersteward
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
you partner needs to do this himself nothing wrong with encouragement but ultimately it's his show
PLEASE don't beat your self up if he relapses.
+1 on that. Goggle AA town city Meetings all over the place 24-7 He looks it up and just goes.To a meeting Takes it from there gets a sponser 90 meetings stright in a row. to start It's all up to him.

Quick Reply: Friend needs Help.