General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combination Headlight and turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
motorcycle mikey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combination Headlight and turn signals

I recently saw an ad for a new headlight with a ring of LED's surronding the light that function as turn signals or running lights. They were divided into 2 banks to function as both right and left signals. Does anyone have a clue if this setup would pass the New Jersey state inspection?
Mikey

Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Skin & Crossbones
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F New Jersey - buy the light and find out!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Need to look at your vehicle code. CA requires 8-1/2 inches between the signals, or 12 inches to the outer edge. And the CHP carries a tape measure
Dont ask me how I know

Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Markusm
Road Master

nj does not require front signal lights any way, give it a shot!!
legal/nj, does not compute!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Squishy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Need to look at your vehicle code. CA requires 8-1/2 inches between the signals, or 12 inches to the outer edge. And the CHP carries a tape measure
Dont ask me how I know
That's because CA is bunch of *********** when it comes to modified anythings. lol. I have a few friends who live out there and they tell me all the BS they have to go through for their vehicles. I'd seriously want to shoot myself if I lived out there. They're funky about changing your house too. Home owners associations out there are *****! I'm not saying Ohio is great, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with as much BS. Back on topic though, I'd just call up the place that does inspections and ask them. No sense in wasting money on something that you might not be able to use. I saw that same headlight but thought it was a stupid idea. I mean, I understand wanting to "clean up the bike" by removing unwanted clutter, but having barely visible turn signals seems kind of stupid unless you show your bike. We have a hard enough time with cagers pulling out in front of us. See where I'm going with this? lol.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Skin & Crossbones
Banned

Originally Posted by motorcycle mikey
I recently saw an ad for a new headlight with a ring of LED's surronding the light that function as turn signals or running lights. They were divided into 2 banks to function as both right and left signals. Does anyone have a clue if this setup would pass the New Jersey state inspection?
Mikey
Link to the website or a pic?!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Although turn signals are not required in some states if they are on the bike they must be legal in terms of distance from other lights. That distance varies state to state. So basically, I would think that set up is illegal everywhere. And dangerous.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM
motorcycle mikey
Cruiser

Decided to keep my signals where they are and went with a 7' bullet headlight. I am going to move it back 2" and raise it 1" with a new bracket, but this gives you a good idea of what it looks like.
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Combination Headlight and turn signals-000_0233.jpg   Combination Headlight and turn signals-000_0237.jpg   Combination Headlight and turn signals-000_0236.jpg  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:56 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcycle mikey
Decided to keep my signals where they are and went with a 7' bullet headlight. I am going to move it back 2" and raise it 1" with a new bracket, but this gives you a good idea of what it looks like.
Mike
Pretty sweet looking ride you got there Mikey!!

Old 08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Squishy
That's because CA is bunch of *********** when it comes to modified anythings. lol. I have a few friends who live out there and they tell me all the BS they have to go through for their vehicles. I'd seriously want to shoot myself if I lived out there. They're funky about changing your house too. Home owners associations out there are *****! I'm not saying Ohio is great, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with as much BS. Back on topic though, I'd just call up the place that does inspections and ask them. No sense in wasting money on something that you might not be able to use. I saw that same headlight but thought it was a stupid idea. I mean, I understand wanting to "clean up the bike" by removing unwanted clutter, but having barely visible turn signals seems kind of stupid unless you show your bike. We have a hard enough time with cagers pulling out in front of us. See where I'm going with this? lol.
And we're glad you're in Ohio.

Quick Reply: Combination Headlight and turn signals