General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage title - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Drew62
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage title - need opinions

After dropping my 2000 Heritage on a rain-soaked country road I heard yesterday from my insurance agent that they are deeming it a total loss. They tell me that if I have it repaired a "salvage title" would be issued.

What impact will having a fully restored/repaired bike with a salvage title have on its value? I have heard that it is not that unusual for older bikes to have one and that it doesn't negatively impact the value. What are your experiences? Knowledgable replies only, please. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drew,
I know you asked for "experienced and knowledgable responces" but purhaps a better question might be how I (we) as a perspective buyer(s) might view a salvage title. I think you might get a lot of responces that way which might better influence your decision.

Just for the record, I wouldn't go near one. There are too many good used bikes for sale that don't have salvage titles. And I have heard that insurance companies wont pay full value on any future claims on a salvage title. Something you may want to ask your insurance company before you do the deal.

Don

Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoever said that a salvage title won't negatively affect the value of the bike is just plain wrong. If I'm looking at two similar bikes of the same year and close mileage and one has a salvage title, which one do you think I'm going to buy?? If you take a look on Ebay you'll see that bikes with salvage titles either don't get bids, or they bid up to a much lower value than others with a clean title.
Personally, I wouldn't touch a bike with a salvage title unless it was a absolute steal, like 50% of normal retail. Take your insurance check and find another bike to fall in love with.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

Have to agree with wraplock.

Ask yourself this: Would you buy a salvage title bike, if there were non salvage title bikes for close to the same price available? Probably not.

The resale value of anything with a salvage title will take a huge hit.

wraplock also mentioned checking with your insurance company. Some won't insure a salvage title.

Now, if this bike has lots of sentimental value to you and don't plan on selling it then it might be worth a look. I guess in that case, it still has value to you.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:36 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with the others, having a salvage title on a bike would be a negative. However if you are not going to sell it down the road than is is not going to matter. Sometimes you can get a good deal by buying it back from the Insurance Company and that is what you are doing . If you are planning on fixing it up to sell, let the insurance company have it and give you the money and get another bike. .
Most people would not buy a vehicle with a salvage title. Means that it was wrecked and people want things to be new and nice.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:29 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

personal opinion (and the other guys here said it better) - only go with a salvage title if you're keeping it.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by doorsidedown
personal opinion (and the other guys here said it better) - only go with a salvage title if you're keeping it.
I would go with one IF I got a good deal on it, but I have never sold a bike or car in my life. I ride 'em until the wheels fall off.

Any "custom" build is the same thing as a salvage title though isn't it?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM
mps1168
Tourer

Mine has "Salvage title", I picked it up with 565 miles on it. The damage done was all cosmetic and fixed correctly. At the time I bought it (June 07) the exact same bike on the showroom floor was $5000 more. I figured for $5000 difference it was worth it. I intend on keeping it long term (5 years or more at least) so I feel I got a great deal. I can also add i haven't had 1 single issue mechanically or cosmetically with the bike. it was inspected by the State Patrol and signed off on as well. As for insurance coverage, no issue and the bank had no issue with financing when I bought it.

Now the thing you need to think about is, How long you intend to keep it? It is a 2000, is it really worth keeping? My opinion would be unless your going to hand it down to you kid one day, make it the wifes bike one day or keep it as a "spare" I'd let her go and move on as the bike market is flooded now and deals can be found very easy.

mps

Last edited by mps1168; 07-24-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I have one. My wife's 1200C is basically a salvage titled bike. In Virginia and it has an R for reconstruction on the title. Wouldn't know except the horn and the title. I got it for less then most 1200's at the time, but for resale I also will take the hit on that end. It all depends on what you will have to put into it and balance that with what you would maybe get out of it if you where to sell/trade. If you are just gonna keep it... well then who cares.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a buddy that buys and fixes salvaged bikes. He says as a general rule, they are worth about 60% of what one without a salvaged title books for.

Quick Reply: Salvage title - need opinions