General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To The Fingerless Glove Police

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Default To The Fingerless Glove Police

Didn't want to hijack Navypt's feet up thread. I'm getting along in years, 72 of em, and the skin on my arms and especially the back of my hands is getting thin and more fragile. About a week ago I scraped the back of my right hand and opened up a really nasty cut. I can't wear my regular, full fingered gloves because of the wound and the only gloves with a velcro flap closure that I could find in town were fingerless. I've decided to start wearing fingerless gloves all the time now (except when I'm riding) to protect the back of my hands and still have my fingers free for typing, etc. So if you see me I'm not trying to look cool or bad azz, I'm protecting my hands from constant bruises and nasty cuts that to other people are nothing more than a minor, unnoticed scrape. You might even see me in a store on a hot day wearing my heavy leather coat. I wear it a lot for the same reasons of protection and I don't want to leave an expensive coat on the bike. In a spill, what to you might just be minor road rash, would be a pretty major wound to me.

Point is, don't be too quick to judge others for what they're wearing or a quirk in their riding habits. Might just be a good reason for it.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Lures
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I wear 'em, don't give a sweet rat's azz what anyone thinks! My hands get numb on long rides without gloves & summer is too hot for full fingered gloves, so fingerless fits the bill for me. Now azzless chaps are a whole different story! LMAO!
Ride safe and wear whatever you want!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Do they go with your toeless boots?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There are a lot of people that wear them for medical and cosmetic reasons. If someone makes a comment to you, or you overhear one, just look them square in the eyes and tell them you have leprosy and they're keeping the hands from falling off.

Shouldn't have any more issues from those people. In fact, may be kind of difficult to even find them after that.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
Didn't want to hijack Navypt's feet up thread. I'm getting along in years, 72 of em, and the skin on my arms and especially the back of my hands is getting thin and more fragile. About a week ago I scraped the back of my right hand and opened up a really nasty cut. I can't wear my regular, full fingered gloves because of the wound and the only gloves with a velcro flap closure that I could find in town were fingerless. I've decided to start wearing fingerless gloves all the time now (except when I'm riding) to protect the back of my hands and still have my fingers free for typing, etc. So if you see me I'm not trying to look cool or bad azz, I'm protecting my hands from constant bruises and nasty cuts that to other people are nothing more than a minor, unnoticed scrape. You might even see me in a store on a hot day wearing my heavy leather coat. I wear it a lot for the same reasons of protection and I don't want to leave an expensive coat on the bike. In a spill, what to you might just be minor road rash, would be a pretty major wound to me.

Point is, don't be too quick to judge others for what they're wearing or a quirk in their riding habits. Might just be a good reason for it.

Well all I can say to you Sir is, I hope I'm still riding when I get to be your age. Wear what ever the hell you want!! God Bless

Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes sense to me Foodog. Also remember to keep your hands well lotioned. It will go a long way towards keeping your hands from drying out and chapping making it harder to tear or scratch the skin.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

72 and riding? Dang, you deserve to wear whatever you want without being questionned by any of us youngsters.
Respect
Ride hard

Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
pepperoniPITA
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quit worrying about anyone who says something about what *YOU* wear. If they don't like it, tell 'em to fsck off and die, and if they have a problem with that, tell 'em 'jump, frog'.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been wearing 'fingerless gloves' since back in the early 1970's, long before there was the current crop of fashion police.

Wore them mainly to help fight the vibration from long days in the saddle, and they also help when bugs and other stuff hit your hands...

(They also help to protect your knuckles when you deck the first 'fashion police type guy' that walks up and tells you how stupid they look}..

Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
72 and riding? Dang, you deserve to wear whatever you want without being questionned by any of us youngsters.
Respect
Ride hard

+++++++1.............and in no way should you have to explain what, when, where, and why you wear what you do to anybody. Ride On!

Last edited by travroc; 07-23-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: To The Fingerless Glove Police