General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

caught in speed trap, now what??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was on my way to Colorado last month going through Missouri on Hwy 72. I rounded a curve and saw a car up ahead on the side of the road. I couldn't really make out the car due to afternoon sun and didn't think much of it. Before I got to the car, red & blue lights lit up on top of it. Oh Sh*t! It's got to be for me because I'm in the middle of nowhere and no other vehicles are anywhere in sight.
I slow and pull off the road in front of the State Trooper. The nice lady Trooper asks for my DL and ask's me how fast was I going? I told her I didn't really know. She informed me that I was doing 70 in a 55. I thought to myself, "Thats not too bad, you should have been sitting a couple of miles back." She then went back to her cruiser and ran my DL. She comes back and asks' me a few more questions about my travels and then hands me my DL and tells me to slow down and be careful! Whew!! I just knew she was going to give me a ticket, but sometimes you just get lucky.
My only other ticket on a bike was 85 in a 60 on I40 in NC. I paid $250 to a local lawyer on that one and it disappeared. Much better than paying increased insurance premiums for the next 3 years.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
What ever happen to people taking responsibility for their actions....

If you were speeding it's your own fault, so just 'man up' and pay the damn ticket...

Just my own opinion, but it I'm breaking the law and get caught I have nobody to blame but myself....

I couldn't agree more. Every ticket I've ever gotten I deserved.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM
shooter537
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speeding by in large is an infraction, but none the less, a violation of the law. Burglary, robbery, child abuse are also "violations of the law". Breaking the law is breaking the law. Period. Why are we so quick to offer up ideas on how to get somebody "Off" for breaking the law. Would we be so quick to offer advise if this thread wold have been titled "I got busted climbing through a window the other night at an appliance store?"

And to refer to a particular location on a highway/roadway where a police officer decides to set up and run radar as a speed trap is rediculous. If the stretch of roadway is that bad with speeding violations then obviosly there needs to be enforcement. If you know enough to know that it's a speed trap I would think that the reasonable person would slow down in that area. I'm just saying!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's a busy court, there's a fair chance the prosecutor will at least drop the speed down to a 2 pointer. If you get real lucky, to a non moving violation. They generally don't want to devote 15 minutes or more of the courts time to an mv charge.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

speed trap or not you were speeding. suck it up and pay it

Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shooter537
Speeding by in large is an infraction, but none the less, a violation of the law. Burglary, robbery, child abuse are also "violations of the law". Breaking the law is breaking the law. Period. Why are we so quick to offer up ideas on how to get somebody "Off" for breaking the law. Would we be so quick to offer advise if this thread wold have been titled "I got busted climbing through a window the other night at an appliance store?"

And to refer to a particular location on a highway/roadway where a police officer decides to set up and run radar as a speed trap is rediculous. If the stretch of roadway is that bad with speeding violations then obviosly there needs to be enforcement. If you know enough to know that it's a speed trap I would think that the reasonable person would slow down in that area. I'm just saying!
Why are we so quick to offer up ideas on how to get somebody "Off" for breaking the law.
I am not sure that you read all of the threads as most have not told him to evade the law, but pay the fine. So where are you reading that we are offering ideas as to get off from owning up to his responsibilities. So I think that you are a little incorrect on your assumptions.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter537
Speeding is a violation of the law. Burglary, robbery, child abuse are also "violations of the law".
Wesley Snipes is a felony - for tax evasion
Is that no less than the felons of Jeffrey Dahmer or Charles Manson? Timothy McVey???
I understand what you're saying, but it's apples and oranges. Both fruit, but that's the end of the similarity...

And to refer to a particular location on a highway/roadway where a police officer decides to set up and run radar as a speed trap is rediculous.
An acquaintance of mine is a LEO and we were at a get-together one evening. Someone was talking about their ticket and said it was a speed trap. The LEO said oh really, it was a trap? Was there an officer in the vehicle with you holding a gun to your head forcing you to speed? If not, please explain how it became a trap. That was basically the end of the conversation...

Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM
jg848
Advanced

Originally Posted by AtkRWC
Ask the judge if you can take a safety course and get it dismissed. Otherwise pay the ticket!
+1 good call

Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by albertasaurus
I couldn't agree more. Every ticket I've ever gotten I deserved.
Me too. However, there ARE indeed speed traps out there. We rode down to Panama City Beach back in the Spring, and passed thru a town in Alabama where the speed reduced from 65...to 45...to 35...to 25...all within a city block. I kid you not...all three signs were in less space than the length of an average city block. Needless to say, I didn't make it to 25 til after I passed that sign...but, I didn't get a ticket...nobody there at the time. When we stopped for a break, I had a message on my phone from a bud that had left earlier in the day. He did get a ticket there, and was tryin to warn me 'bout it.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Badasstrike
Tourer

I'd like to know what the hell your going to use for your defense if you fight it. About the only lifeline you have is asking the court to check the calibration record of the radar gun that zapped you.

Otherwise you don't stand a snowballs chance in hell on a speeding violation.

Quick Reply: caught in speed trap, now what??