General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

caught in speed trap, now what??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

I followed the instructions in the book to a t proving that it was a speed trap, that a traffic survey had not been done for many years
That proves nothing. It is most likely to be ruled not to be a factor in the case. That isn't a valid measure in contesting a summons using a speed measuring device.

It does put a few bucks in the pocket of the author of the book though.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A real biker would have made a run for it. Of course being that you were on a Harley, you wouldaprolly been caught anyway.

Maybe you should get a "Busa"

Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 AM
rbscooter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont have a lot of tickets on your record, ask the judge for deferred adjudication. You will still probably have to pay the court cost, but it wont go on your record. I just got off of 30 days deferred for speeding. Admitted I was speeding to the judge and asked for deferred and got it.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Unless you can show a judge your speedometer was reading 22 MPH UNDER actual speed... what do think?
Depending on your location, you could find a lawyer who deals in the local traffic court, spend some money, and see what you can do.

Or?? as Old Fender suggested..... you had no problem speeding, shouldn't have a problem paying for it

Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM
MollyDoll
Cruiser

My roommate got a similar ticket (over 20) in a highway safety corridor. She took the option offered to go to a traffic school for 3 saturdays. She had to pay for the ticket + around $50 for the school, but it was wiped from her record. In my state (Virginia) they don't usually advertise that this option is available unless somebody asks about it. She didn't go to the court date but went in advance to talk to the clerk of the court.

Two months later, lucky me, I got a ticket for 20 over because I didn't notice the sign abruptly change from 65 to 45, and there was a cop sitting just past the sign. This was in a county that didn't allow the waiver. But I was speeding, and the signs were large and clear. What can you do?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd fight it. even if you are wasting their time and yours. At least get your moneys worth!

I did, and was gratified when the judge got pissed! He couldn't do **** to me but make me pay the ticket I already paid to fight it! LOL! his red glowing face was well worth it!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
A real biker would have made a run for it. Of course being that you were on a Harley, you wouldaprolly been caught anyway.

Maybe you should get a "Busa"

That won't help much around here. Highway Patrol has some "Busas" for patrol.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That won't help much around here. Highway Patrol has some "Busas" for patrol.

It's also pretty hard to 'outrun' a helicopter (or mobile communications)...

I'd rather just pay a ticket (especially since we don't have a 'point system' in the State where I live) than face possible Felony Evasion Charges...

It's usually best to not have any felony convictions on your record, for a number of reasons.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

I always hate it when I am breaking the law and get caught.

It is profiling...they stop me just because I am speeding

Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing that my ahppen if you show up to court is that the judge will reduce the speed and you are adjudged less points off your license and a lesser fine. Be respectful and you may get what you want. never pays to **** off the judge. He holds all the trump cards, you're in his baliwick. Most judges are like everybody else, decent folks but rub one's *** and they have the power to get even. may not be right but that's the way it is

Bubba

Quick Reply: caught in speed trap, now what??