General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New American Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:41 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTNate
Yeah by and large I've found this forum to be full of good and friendly people with a lot of nice bikes to look at and lots of info to be had. I came here originally just to check out pictures, then joined to post and learn more.

Like many of you, I like bikes from many manufacturers. I don't mind if someone doesn't like my bike, but cowboy1 called it "weak" (which is just dumb especially trying to say that a Road Star is more powerful, which simply isn't true) then in my eyes questions why I'm even here. I take offense to that. I don't remember reading in the forum rules that you must own a Harley to post here.

If folks would rather I not post any pictures of my Yamaha, then I won't. But, people like to show their bikes, and for now, it's what I've got. I think it's a nice bike and I enjoy it while I'm looking for the next one.
you're more than welcome here.
I like posting pics of my old Aspencade to **** them off myself

Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I, for one am glad to have you here!

What H/D are you wanting to get?

I miss my Kawasaki dearly......

I will say, that once you start riding a Harley, you will be sold.

~Joe

Old 07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Bonesbike1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they'd do well if they brought out a model that looked similar to an old Triumph or BSA. The current bikes are just too "swoopy" for me. I'm glad they are hanging in there.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
SVTNate
Cruiser

Thanks, guys.

I freakin' vacillate daily. At first I was dead set on a Street Glide. Then, decided I was dead set on a Road King standard. Then, I was dead set on a RK Classic, because I decided that I liked the fenders and bags better. Then, a Deluxe, because I rarely need the space of a touring bike and heck I'm only 29 years old. I decided that chrome is a huge PITA to keep nice, so then a blacked-out FatBoy, and now the Dynas are really appealing to me (not sure which, but probably blacked out).

The nice thing is that the tastes keep getting cheaper and cheaper Dynas have grown on me for their looks, and I hear they ride/handle better than Softails.

I'm waiting to see what model year 2010 brings (tomorrow, right?) and then I'll get out and test-ride some different bikes. A local HD dealer has a demo day in October, so I'll be sure to make it for that.

I am not 100% sure I'm going to buy an HD, because I'm also considering sport-touring bikes. But, I'm pretty sure. If I get a cruiser, it will be an HD. The only other bike I considered was the new Triumph Thunderbird, until I saw one in person. It's comfy and has power, plus it's a neat unique bike, but the look just doesn't do it for me. Only HD really makes cruisers that look fantastic IMO.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Could they just make the concept CORE bike... that would MIGHT get me to jump ship.. just maybe.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
nighttraingirl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the look of some of those bikes. I would ride one. However, If I had the money to go out and buy a new bike today, I sure wouldn't buy one. I would want another Harley. And with the starting prices, I don't think that saving up or financing an extra 1k would be a big deal.
Might be something I would consider buying as a third bike.... If I had the money. But you better bet I'd have a newer Harley first... or since Night Trains are rumored to not be in production next year, I'd customize and spend another 5k on mine before I went out and bought a Victory. Or anything else.
NTGirl

Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTNate
Thanks, guys.

I freakin' vacillate daily. At first I was dead set on a Street Glide. Then, decided I was dead set on a Road King standard. Then, I was dead set on a RK Classic, because I decided that I liked the fenders and bags better. Then, a Deluxe, because I rarely need the space of a touring bike and heck I'm only 29 years old. I decided that chrome is a huge PITA to keep nice, so then a blacked-out FatBoy, and now the Dynas are really appealing to me (not sure which, but probably blacked out).

The nice thing is that the tastes keep getting cheaper and cheaper Dynas have grown on me for their looks, and I hear they ride/handle better than Softails.

I'm waiting to see what model year 2010 brings (tomorrow, right?) and then I'll get out and test-ride some different bikes. A local HD dealer has a demo day in October, so I'll be sure to make it for that.

I am not 100% sure I'm going to buy an HD, because I'm also considering sport-touring bikes. But, I'm pretty sure. If I get a cruiser, it will be an HD. The only other bike I considered was the new Triumph Thunderbird, until I saw one in person. It's comfy and has power, plus it's a neat unique bike, but the look just doesn't do it for me. Only HD really makes cruisers that look fantastic IMO.
I'd suggest a Superglide. They can tour with some saddlebags and a windscreen, or you can do what I did with mine, make it into a nice hot-rod.

There also VERY affordable. The money saved can be used to build it to fit you!

Get a harley~trust me, you won't regret it!

~Joe

Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Boz
Intermediate

I can't handle the pointed rear fender look. And just the way any of the rear fenders are set up on the Vics. I guess that when your creative side is supposed to kick in. Saw, hammer, grinder, 12 gauge

Old 07-25-2009, 01:24 AM
SVTNate
Cruiser

Joe,

Thanks. Your SuperGlide looks great! If I got a Dyna, I'd have extra cash for some black powdercoating, HD accessories, pipes/RSD airkit/PCV, and a nice set o'wheels. If I got a Deluxe or Road King, I'd have no money left over to customize. What I really need to do is get out and ride these bad boys.

A buddy of mine has been riding HD's since the 70's, and really likes the Wide Glide. I read on this forum that it's back for 2010. I may have to check that one out, too. I also like the Street Bob, and the Super Glide. Thing is, once you get to work with customizing, any particular model HD (whether it be one of the Dyna family, Touring, Softail, etc.) can be made to look like another, or totally different - so where you start is not determinative of where you'll end up, IMO. If I can get one largely blacked out, or at least one that I like the stock wheels or stock fenders, that'll save me money down the road.

Do you know if those cool little "chopper bags" from Leatherworks, etc. fit the Dyna models? That'd be a great, low profile way for me to carry my glasses and my cigars when I ride for day trips!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 AM
LTBiker
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Schumacher, you obviously have your act together! Always a voice of reason and a good sense of humor!
You know, I bought my first Harley 40 years ago this month, and have been on nothing else since 1992 - a huge fan of H-D. That said, I think Victory has a lot going for them. We rented a Vision for a couple of days recently, and it definitely is a more comfortable road bike than the Harley baggers, and as some of us get on up there in years comfort becomes a higher priority. You do what you need to do to be able to keep on riding. I don't like the front-end on the Visions at all, but do kinda like the back end look. I will definitely want to take a good look at the Cross Country in person when they show up at the dealer. Think I will always have a H-D in the garage, but there is room for another brand too.