General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

29 Dreams (Screams) Update (beware)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjake

But Ron, I did read their website and it says all cabins have access to the bath house. So if I had read this, I would have not expected a bathroom in the cabin. Sorry, but maybe they aren't 100% to blame?

i would assume that since all cabins have access to the bath house, that there is a communal shower. but i would not automatically assume that my cabin did not have a toilet......
I am a bit "dense" at times but my assumption was that the "splendid comfort" cabins would allow three occupants. If everyone was trying to get ready to leave, we would be allowed access to the bath house that the campers use.

When we saw that our "splendid comfort" cabin was nothing more than a 12' X 12' musty smelling room with a bed and only a bed we were disappointed. We were not ugly about it and would gladly have accepted a gift certificate or a credit to be used at a later date.

This is less about the cabin and the lost money but more about the way this guy treated us as customers and his arrogant attack of my character with his reply. Very unprofessional.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you got beat out of the money. Make sure you write a letter to the Better Business Bureau at least once a month. Spread the word about them. It will wind up costing them a lot of money in lost customers. I think the BBB only keeps letters on file for a short time.

I got screwed once by a company and drove them nuts by continually writing letters to the BBB about them. They aren't around anymore.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 AM
terrykappler
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 Number?

Just a thought here, but do they have an 800 telephone number? I heard a radio talk show host one time who settled a dispute with a company by calling relentlessly on their 800 number. Every time he called, he explained to them how much this phone call is costing them and how many times he had called and was going to call. He made sure they knew that giving him a refund was going to be far cheaper than answering the phone every day. Maybe some of your buds on this forum would make a few calls on your behalf too. Just a thought.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM
stamper5498
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is some good ridin on the mountain there though

Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 AM
CarbideDude
Tourer

“Splendid comfort” is clearly the issue here, and it’s just plainly a misleading claim.

I think you have 2 separate issues here:

(1) You made a reservation for a room in which you were somewhat misled (the mentioning of a bath house could have thrown up a red flag), and you had a financial loss of less than $100.

(2) The owner was a d1ck to you in his email.

My opinion is that your response to issue 1 should be to just drop it. Apparently the credit card company did not think you had a strong enough case to back you, so to try to get the attorney general or a congressman involved is just plain stupid. Suck it up and move on.

Your response to issue 2 has been pretty good so far. Your posts on this forum have clearly damaged the owner more than the $100 he refused to refund.

Other comments:

Originally Posted by rodnok
I would suggest small claims court but the judge is probably the uncle daddy of the owner!
WRONG! The owner is a Yankee who moved to Alabama. He is NOT a Southerner.

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
I used MasterCard to make the reservations. Funny, they asked for a MasterCard. If it had been Visa or American Express it would have been no problem canceling. I was told by the credit card company that MasterCard will honor all reservations at the expense of their customer. My MasterCard just went through the shredder.
I seriously doubt this is true, and can't imagine why he told you this. I am merchant who accepts both and in every instance I’ve ever seen, the rules are the same for Visa and M/C. My guess is that he just wanted you to give you the false illusion that as a cardholder you really do have some power for charge backs if you used the right card. I’ve had 3 very legit attempts at charge backs and all were declined. I think the banks just tend to side with the merchants.

Originally Posted by pottsy
You should at least compile a letter or something to provide to the local Better Business Bureau, or Chamber of Commerce, or something. It's not going to get you anything, but will cost them something, maybe, hopefully. Normally, cities and towns don't like businesses that drive tourist away.
Better Business Bureau is a joke, and I doubt the township of Vandiver Alabama has any kind of Chamber of Commerce. This place is just a farm out in the country.

Last edited by CarbideDude; 07-23-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Long story cut short.

I booked three nights several years ago at the New Buffalo motel in New Buffalo, Michigan. Phone didn't work and I needed it for my laptop. Turns out the phone sysem had been down for several weeks.

Stayed the first night and decided to check out the next morning. Owners said they had a 48 hour cancellation policy and wouldn't refund my money for the other two nights.

Took up the issue with VISA and after a few back and forths, VISA refunded ALL my money, including the first night that I was willing to pay for.

A few weeks later, I was in the area, stopped in the office, and told the owners if you hadn't been so greedy, you would have had at least one nights money. Thumbed my nose at them and walked out. I could hear them cursing me as I drove away.

Sometmes life is fair!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

Your response to issue 2 has been pretty good so far. Your posts on this forum have clearly damaged the owner more than the $100 he refused to refund. Folks are backing you and refusing to do business with this dude. If you feel like dealing with it further, next time you drive through you could stop in and deal with it face to face, man to man. He’s a sawed off little runt. I’m sure you could take him.
So you know the guy?

I seriously doubt this is true, and can't imagine why he told you this. I am merchant who accepts both and in every instance I’ve ever seen, the rules are the same for Visa and M/C. My guess is that he just wanted you to give you the false illusion that as a cardholder you really do have some power for charge backs if you used the right card. I’ve had 3 very legit attempts at charge backs and all were declined. I think the banks just tend to side with the merchants.
I too, am a merchant. Been a business owner for 24 years. I did not know this about MasterCard until my rep from Bank of America informed me of this. And I have never had a successful charge back against me either.

Yeah this is not, as I have posted, about the money anymore. I'm guessing you know the area. What is the fine for simple assault?..

Don't get mad, get even.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob
Long story cut short.

Took up the issue with VISA and after a few back and forths, VISA refunded ALL my money, including the first night that I was willing to pay for.

Sometmes life is fair!

Yeah Visa. As mentioned earlier my MasterCard went through the shredder.

You ought to make a commercial:

3 nights at a motel...xxxxxdollars

1 charge back on Visa....0000dollars

Thumbing your nose and hearing them cuss.....priceless.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
So you know the guy?
In Vandiver Alabama on a Saturday night it would end without charges being filed.

Last edited by CarbideDude; 07-23-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM
pepperoniPITA
Banned

I wrote 'em an e-mail letting them know that I and everyone I knew appreciated that they saved me money by not staying where I'd be treated so unprofessionally.

Also, do a search of '29 Dreams' on yahoo or google and put a review on all the places that allows it.

Last edited by pepperoniPITA; 07-23-2009 at 02:21 PM.