Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at purchasing a 1973 XLH

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:57 PM
djwhaley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSN711
Yeah....here it is 2009 and the bike has only lasted 36 years...darn AMF quality...probably never see 50 years...he might want to reconsider getting it....
Im thinking all the bugs are probably worked out by now, I have had my 81 xls for 17 years it was a great way to learn how to work on a bike I think if its still on the road and only needs speedo and master cylender 100.00 max. Buy it and have fun...

Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 76 iron head runs great most of the time right now needs plugs), kick only so I have a real time getting it going (my son has no problem)sound like an ok buy just remember it is an old bike but for bar hopping on weekends should be great . mine needs a speedo also but not really .. also mine still has drum rear brakes. don't look at all the pic my garage is even worse now 7 bikes in there two run..

Attached Thumbnails Looking at purchasing a 1973 XLH-sporty.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice bike. I had a 73XLH and the only major problem I had was a bearing/bearing carrier between the clutch and transmission; other than that, zero problems.

It’s been 35 years since I had mine but I don’t recall it having a front disc brake. It may have had disc though, that HAS been a few billion brain cells ago!

I still have the owners manual but it’s not handy right now.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:00 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a '77 XLH - it has a "new" engine in it that lets me run unleaded and it has an S&S carb and otherwise it's completely stock and reconditioned, it was somebody else's money pit but he had to sell it (wife reasons). It gets used on nice days, locally and I don't hammer it. I like the left foot gear change.

Great bike but not a modern harley and I treat it accordingly. I know I'll need to look after it and spend a bit more than I probably expect to but it is such a nice bike to ride and look at that it's worth it.

If you know that you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited by fxdxrider; 07-21-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Jontall
Cruiser

I bought a 1973 XLCH new in March 1973 (I was 18). It was my first Harley and the worst piece of junk I ever owned. Everything went wrong with that bike... Spokes broke, rear sprocket sheared, rear wheel adjusters broke, engine cases were defective, valves needed constant adjustment, electrical problems and I could go on. Granted, all of these problems were fixed under warranty, but the bike was in the shop more then it was out. I wouldn't go near any Harley that AMF built.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:12 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

That is an excellent price. Buy it. You can't go wrong even if it was a basket case. There was nothing wrong with AMF Harleys regardless of what those say that never had one. I had one for twelve years and wish I still had it.

The 73 XLH is electric start. The XLCH is kick start. The gear shift is on the right on a 73. I think it was changed in 74. I would switch out the ignition system from points and condenser to electronic. Probably a little over $100. May want to consider a S&S carb, but not required.

Damn, I wish I could buy that bike for $2000. Good luck and respect for looking out for your brother.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:27 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,215 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I answered you in the touring section with the manuals to get for it.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer

Thanks dawg,
I saw your response and if I do end up buying it tonight, that will be the first thing I will order.

To all others: Thanks for the advice, I think that I am going to go buy it unless there are some unforseen problems with it. I am really looking forward to the project. You will hear from me soon likely with questions on how to fix it. I thank you all in advance. This is one of the reasons I couldnt let my brother get a jap bike for the same price, the help that I am able to get on here.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
Thanks dawg,
I saw your response and if I do end up buying it tonight, that will be the first thing I will order.

To all others: Thanks for the advice, I think that I am going to go buy it unless there are some unforseen problems with it. I am really looking forward to the project. You will hear from me soon likely with questions on how to fix it. I thank you all in advance. This is one of the reasons I couldnt let my brother get a jap bike for the same price, the help that I am able to get on here.
If the bike is basic stock... I think your getting a deal....

Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Yeah, they were all turds......Well, not all of them. I can ride mine anywhere, anytime.
thats a pretty impressive turd you've got there. My turd still drags my butt around all the time.

I really like the solo seat on a sporty. I may have to pick one up some day.

Carl

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing a 1973 XLH