General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley = Dyna or Fatboy??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 AM
ultrastryk
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Harley = Dyna or Fatboy??

I had jap bikes years ago, and am getting ready to buy my first Harley. What are the main differences between these two bikes? Does one ride or handle better than the other? I will mainly be riding short trips through the mountains by myself, but will occasionaly haul my wife. I am sure I will end up going to a touring bike later, but don't want to start on one. I will not be buying new, but somthing in the 05=07 range most likely.
Thanks for any help.
Bill

Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

The dyna will handle better, is faster, and a decent two-up bike... Check out the dyna section... There is a running thread in the first couple pages about fatbob or fatboy... You'll find all the info your looking for in that thread.

But you cant go wrong with either bike... You'll love which ever one you get!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with shimmon a dyna will be the way to go, ya can mod it up for touring or strip it down for cruisin.

i have also heard ( i don't have extensive expiernce just small trips) that sinse softail shocks are horizontal and dyna shocks are vertical that the softail can make ya feel a little like yr on a boat if ya get on some super slab or somthin.

dynas have pegs witch is for more agressive riddin, softails have floorboards...not so agressive.

havin said this, i ride with ppl with both and niether would ever trade. sounds like for what ya want though, get the dyna

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Dooderhead
Tourer

Interestingly, I started out with a Dyna even though I wanted a Fatboy because it was cheaper and easier to handle. Of course, every time I was on the road or at the dealer and saw a Fatty, I envied and drooled a bit Put 22k miles on the SuperGlide Custom in 2 yrs and finally stepped up to what I wanted to begin with in Spring 07

That being said, the Fatboy is a true cruiser...great for 2 up OR solo, and you can mod the **** out of it pretty easily. The Dyna was SCARY fast, nimble, and ok for 2up. If I didn't already have the Ultra and the Fatboy, I'd have my sights set on a denim black FatBob as a solo seat, ride-it-like-u-stole-it scoot

Decisions....decisions.... Godd luck with whichever and ride safe!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Having owned both I would suggest the Dyna based on your comming from metrics. It will be quicker and more nimble. You can find a low mile Street Bob for a very reasonable price on Craigslist or eBay. I've seen some 07s with the 96" motor for under 10K. BTW, try to get the 07 or newer so you can get the 96" vs the 88".

Old 07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05Fatty
Having owned both I would suggest the Dyna based on your comming from metrics. It will be quicker and more nimble. You can find a low mile Street Bob for a very reasonable price on Craigslist or eBay. I've seen some 07s with the 96" motor for under 10K. BTW, try to get the 07 or newer so you can get the 96" vs the 88".
What he said.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The Street Bob is a great bike to ride.....Maybe you should go to a dealer and rent both bikes and ride them and see what you like better...!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Dyna line has external shocks, rubber-mounted engine, and footpegs. They usually handle better and have a vibrating motor at idle that smooths out at speed. The touring line of Harleys has the same engine feel.

The Fatboy has a hidden shock, counter-balanced engine, and floorboards. They have less handling and a smoother feeling motor both at idle and speed, though I found they tend to feel “buzzy” at highway speeds.

In my opinion, both bikes require aftermarket components to be comfortable for distance riding. They both need good two-up seats, saddlebags, and windshields.

In the end, however, you cannot go wrong with either choice.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Get the one that puts a smile on your face when you look at it

Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really gotta ride them to know what really suits you...You can sit on a bike with a predetermined preference but that can change with a trip down the road!

Quick Reply: First Harley = Dyna or Fatboy??