General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing judgements

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 AM
4merRacer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing judgements

In many countries, motorcycling is itself one group. It's doesn't matter WHAT you ride, only THAT you ride. Here, it's funny to me that riding around town, sportbikes won't wave at me (unless i wave first). However, if I get out in the mountains, everyone waves at everyone. I know this subject has been talked about many times but it doesn't end here......

Having read another thread I also thought about those that transport their bikes. The guy who's only form of transportation or that owns a japanese car is usually the guy that criticizes those that haul their bikes. Let's be realistic. I'd rather know my bike will make it there, not be stolen or break on the way, and be cleaner on arrival. Less cleaning and less fatigue means more party time. Always a good thing.

Lastly, there's the RUB's. If you saw me riding down the road, I could be accused of one. I bought my bike Feb '05. I've got over 11K miles on it and yet I drive my truck as much or more. So, looks can be deceiving. I ride more than I drive but I keep the bike in pristine shape and don't wear raggedy clothes. Does that make me any less biker than the next guy?

Old 05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Passing judgements

I'm not sure what your point is. It doesn't matter to me if somebody waves back, it matters that I made the effort to acknowledge someone else on a bike. If they don't wave back, oh well. Trailers make sense to alot of people in alot of situations. Why justify it? If it works for you, use it. Fine with me. Like Sean and Heather trailering out of the snow country to Daytona. They got there and that's the important thing. Or the guy that has a wife and two dogs and a scoot. Trailer to the ralley or stay home? OK makes sense to me. If you see MY bike on a trailer, it's been stolen! That's how it works for me.
About RUB's. Some people are way to sensitive about names. Do you consider yourself a RUB or are you worried about what somebody else thinks? If it's the latter, get a grip. Ride for you and make it about you and not what somebody else thinks. Who cares.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 PM
05UltraClassic
Advanced

ORIGINAL: vernh59

I'm not sure what your point is. It doesn't matter to me if somebody waves back, it matters that I made the effort to acknowledge someone else on a bike. If they don't wave back, oh well. Trailers make sense to alot of people in alot of situations. Why justify it? If it works for you, use it. Fine with me. Like Sean and Heather trailering out of the snow country to Daytona. They got there and that's the important thing. Or the guy that has a wife and two dogs and a scoot. Trailer to the ralley or stay home? OK makes sense to me. If you see MY bike on a trailer, it's been stolen! That's how it works for me.
About RUB's. Some people are way to sensitive about names. Do you consider yourself a RUB or are you worried about what somebody else thinks? If it's the latter, get a grip. Ride for you and make it about you and not what somebody else thinks. Who cares.
what he said...

Old 05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is guilty of passing judgement. Well at least I'm guilty of it. I wave to everyone regardless if they wave back. I'm a RUB but I talk about Harley everyday as a senior management I can't ride my motorcycle everyday. That would be funny if I can take some clients for a ride or out to lunch on my bike. As far of Passing judegment one day this guy cut me off on the freeway and was on the phone. My wife and I called him a jerk 10 minute later we seen him on the side of the road at a seen of a accident that his family was involved in. I guess that justified that but I would of did the same thing as he did.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 PM
topchop
Cruiser

Is passing gas the same as passing judgements?

Thanks

Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: topchop

Is passing gas the same as passing judgements?

Thanks
Geeze! I hope not! I do that all the time. (As my wife will validate)

Wave, no wave? Heck I wave at all two/three wheelers. Scooters, kids on bikes, etc.. Most of the time I get a way back. (I confuse the heck out of the scooter riders.)

Old 05-24-2006, 04:36 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I admit I don't wave at every biker I see. Most of the time I do, but only when I feel that I am stable enough to do it. Sometimes, especially during bike week and when there are thousands of bikes out, I just can't do it evertime. I just can't! For the most part, when someone waves at me, I wave back. Whether I on my bike or not. Do they judge me for this... possibly. Do they judge all bikers because I didn't wave this time...again...possibly. Can't help that. Will I ever see them again... probably not. Do I lose any sleep over this....welll....... ZZZZZZZ! Nope!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

[..]
Having read another thread I also thought about those that transport their bikes. The guy who's only form of transportation or that owns a japanese car is usually the guy that criticizes those that haul their bikes. Let's be realistic. I'd rather know my bike will make it there, not be stolen or break on the way, and be cleaner on arrival. Less cleaning and less fatigue means more party time. Always a good thing.
[..]
Uh If you are trailering your low milage '05 becuase you are worried that it will not make it to your destination, then you really need to get to know your bike better, or get a bike you trust.

sure, riding a motorcycle will get it dirty. for most people that really like to ride, its not the end of the world.

having a clean, unused, bike that is safe in a locked box, while driving a pickup truck everywhere is not really the goal. For some its about riding.

even if you look down on japanese cars while driving you american (i assume, based on you post) pickup truck, a harley sticker in the rear window is not the same as riding a motorcycle. do it if you want, but the folks who pass you on their "dirty" bikes are actually riding, so when theyre telling stories of the ride in, youll be talking about.. what, that big grade that you werent sure the pickup truck and trailer would make it over? its just not the same.

its not that they are more of a biker than you are, its that they rode in, and experienced the ride. you may have more energy left over to party, which is nice and all, but for some, its about the ride.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:49 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not the destination that's important....it's the journey!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:59 PM
canuk cruiser
Cruiser

I used to have a sport bike before I smartened up, and I found that very few Harley riders waved back at me. I figure, hey you ride, no matter what it is, we are all doing the same. I think of it as a respect thing-er-ma-jig! I don’t know what a RUB is, but I am probably one with my luck!

Quick Reply: Passing judgements