General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hot weater tire pressure ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Gigg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot weater tire pressure ?

Hi all,

I am just getting ready to take a trip with some friends to the Grand Canyon. I live in colorado and usualy run 40 lbs in both my front and rear tire on an 2007 electra glide with dunlap stock tires.

My question is going down to a much hotter arid enviorment the temp will be over 100 degrese many days. Should I change the air pressure in my tires if so what do you guys think it should be?

Thanks in advance,
Gigg

Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't unless elevation change creates a problem but i never had one and i run 40,41 front and rear respectively

Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigg
Hi all,

I am just getting ready to take a trip with some friends to the Grand Canyon. I live in colorado and usualy run 40 lbs in both my front and rear tire on an 2007 electra glide with dunlap stock tires.

Thanks in advance,
Gigg
Personally, I believe that the MoCo knows better than most folks here about what pressures should be run in the stock Dunlop tires based on the load a particular model bike's weight places on them. That's why they put that information in the Owners Manual.

If you're not running the stock Dunlop tires, you should refer to the tire manufactures website.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
paguy
Road Captain

Read the manual. What it says, do. Remember if you check while touring psi is going to read higher, probably for hours after you get off the road. Check in morning.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I check/ adjust it in the morning when it is cool and dont look back.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Redmondp
Tourer

Here's your sign...

Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The manual in south Texas states the same recommended psi as the manual in Alaska. Just sayin'.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:21 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the tire before you ride and check after see how much difference. If it increases a lot reduce by a couple of pounds.I do what manual says myself.We don't get that hot in NJ.I mean like south Texas

Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Gigg stop at Durango HD. They have a machine that removes the air from your tires and replaces with nitrogen. I did that in my '09 FLHX as was concerned of the hot AZ weather. $15/tire and takes 10 minutes. Nitrogen does not change PSI like regular air. Well worh it.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fastbagger
Gigg stop at Durango HD. They have a machine that removes the air from your tires and replaces with nitrogen. I did that in my '09 FLHX as was concerned of the hot AZ weather. $15/tire and takes 10 minutes. Nitrogen does not change PSI like regular air. Well worh it.
Sort of. The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, so you aren't getting that much more nitrogen by going to pure nitrogen. What you are getting is less moisture, the moisture is what expands and contracts when the temperature changes, but you are only going to make a 12% difference with pure nitrogen. The lack of moisture does make the rubber last longer, not a big deal on most motorcycles because of the short mileage lifespan anyway. The lack of mositure will also lessen the oxidation which causes rust on the rims etc. Nonetheless the tire pressure should be whatever the manual states when the tire is cold, meaning not driven.

Quick Reply: hot weater tire pressure ?