General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009 | 02:09 AM
Oilfielddude
|
4th Gear
Default Gear oil issue

Hi,
I found a few posts about the issue I am having so maybe someone can point me in the right direction for more detailed info that I am sure is here.
I just had the 1K service done on my 09 ultra and the service dude recommended HD synthetic and Bellray products in the other two holes. Me and my wife noticed that awful hypoid gear oil smell especially riding in the heat. Also, today I noticed that when it was really hot, the shifting seemed really loud...like hitting rocks with a hammer. Maybe I am using the wrong product... or over-reacting. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Doug-Newbury Park, CA

Old 07-20-2009 | 05:00 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain

It's likely that you're smelling the gear oil because some of it drained across the bottom of the engine and wasn't wiped off, because on the 2009 chassis the crossmember is directly below the transmission drain plug (there is a hole through which the plug can be removed.) You could use some brake cleaner and a rag or paper towels to clean it up; it's tight quarters there.

Not sure what would be causing louder shifting; just what Bel-Ray or H-D synthetic product did they install in the transmission? Is the clutch adjusted properly? I don't know how much experience you have with the H-D six-speed transmission; it is clunky but should shift very well. If I ride without earplugs (never do, unless I'm moving it around a lot or something) I am always surprised at the amount of noise when I shift into first. But it's normal.

Old 07-20-2009 | 07:08 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

It's also a good idea to check the oil levels.Sometimes they over/under fill.

Old 07-20-2009 | 07:38 AM
lowriderrob
Cruiser

As Cookiemech said in his thread, make sure the oil level is correct, and the clutch in adjusted properly. If that doesn't cure the clunk, IMHO I would try puuting Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
I use it and I get a slight "click" when I shift.
Even when shifting into first from neutral.
I rode next to an '07 Road King in a charity ride last weekend. Every shift he made was accompanied by a loud "clunk".
I have a few friend that ride Harley's and have turned them onto it, and they all say it made their shifting quieter.

Old 07-20-2009 | 10:09 AM
Oilfielddude
|
4th Gear

The Bellray products that were put in were the Bel Ray big twin trans fluid and Bel Ray Primary chaincase lube. Anyone using these and if so do you feel like they are good with the intense heat invloved etc...
Thanks

Old 07-20-2009 | 01:38 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Bel-Ray is good stuff. I like their fork oil as well