General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in the saddle, some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 AM
House
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back in the saddle, some thoughts

Hey everyone,

I gave up motorcycles in my mid 20s, after riding religiously since I was 7. I had to do the whole "be a responsible adult thing", but It stayed in my blood, and I've just now gotten back on a bike.

Life is Awesome.

Now, none of this will be news to you guys (and perhaps not all that entertaining either), but I thought I'd share how it's gone so far.

1. I admit I was a little scared jumping on an 800 pound bike and rolling it in to the street. The right turn out of my driveway would up with me on the opposite shoulder (no traffic - i'm not completely insane.) It happened again on the second turn. After 150 miles, I feel connected to the bike, I don't notice the weight, and cornering/turning is comfortable.

2. Sharp right turns from a stop sign gave me the most problems on the first day. I stalled once and just didn't trust myself or the bike. Got it down now.

3. The first store I pulled in to was the Harley Dealership. I drug my feet, parked all crooked and must have given more than a few riders a chuckle. I'm not trying to impress anyone, but I still felt a bit embarrased.

3. Once I stopped popping the clutch, life became much easier. "Feather the clutch Mike, feather the clutch!"

4. I almost dropped the bike once, trying to do a U-Turn on a residential side street downslope. Learned my lesson.

5. Bad-azz looking bikers don't wave. Also, the richer the neighborhood, the dirtier the bikers looked. Scooter riders haven't waved either. After getting DENIED once by a Harley dude, I decided to adopt a "don't initiate wave policy."

6. For some reason, going 60 on the interstate feels like i'm riding in a wind tunnel, while going 55 on a 2-lane highway is calm and smooth.

7. Today was all about countersteering, which is simply the most amazing thing ever. Cornering is now comfortable, accurate and my confidence is getting much better.

8. I know it's been all of 3 days, but I feel like I'm riding in control and being very cautious. In 30 or more years, I might be pretty good) I feel nervous before I leave the house, but set in really quick. I'm working really hard on being comfortable with the controls so my full attention can be on riding safely.

9. I've heard it many times, and it's true for me. I think of nothing but the riding experience while cruising along. Great therapy.

~Mike

Old 07-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get Ride Like a Pro V for the riding issues. It will help with the handling, especially at slow speeds. Practice, practice, practice.

BTW, the difference on the interstate is the other traffic - it creates turbulence. I-95 through GA and FL will buffet you like crazy.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluzmn59
Get Ride Like a Pro V for the riding issues. It will help with the handling, especially at slow speeds. Practice, practice, practice.

BTW, the difference on the interstate is the other traffic - it creates turbulence. I-95 through GA and FL will buffet you like crazy.
+1 on the "Ride like a Pro" DVD.

I was in your shoes last year about this time. I was quites surprised at how nervious I was that first trip out. But now a year later and I ride just about every day. I would suggest taking a MSF course to help you get back into the proper frame of mind.

Have fun but also be safe!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back.

I suspect your skills and confidence will continue to return quickly.

Bikes have been a part of my life for 40 years now. I didn't discover street riding until 11/07... when I purchased my first HD. (Deuce.) Was previously a dirt rider. Only pavement involved were short jaunts that led to another trail.

Now that I've added cruise riding to my reportoire, I love it too.

If you really love riding, and it's "in you"... I bet you'll stay this time!

Personally, I can't imagine life without motorcycles. Seriously.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome back! Nothing like "saddle time" to get your skills back!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Adacas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how old are you now that you got back on? I got off my KZ1000 back in my mid 20's and jumped back on an RKC at 52. After nearly one year I think I'm a better rider than those days on my KZ. To be honest I never should have survived those days.

Last edited by Adacas; 07-20-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of us here have tried that "responsible adult" thing, but it doesn't stick. Welcome back.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Moki Doug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always and I mean always stay a little scared out there it adds to the excitement and keeps you from getting cocky which is the time the road likes to reach up and grab you.
IMHO

Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome back. That turbulence on the freeways is mostly from opposite direction traffic. It's lots better when there's some division between the lanes. A stand of trees between is even better. Relax your grip a little when you get buffeted around, it'll help.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:38 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ride and practice ,you will get back into it.

Quick Reply: Back in the saddle, some thoughts