General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have a Kendon Trailer.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If you have a Kendon Trailer.......

Check your ramp NOW!!!

Yesterday I went to load training bikes on the trailer for the Ride Like A Pro West Coast course. As I was attaching the ramp I noticed that severe metal fatigue caused the toungue on the ramp to crack.

So if you have a Kendon, please check your ramp and avert the possibility of catastrophic failure.

Mark

Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 AM
05Hog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I have a dual rail which I ise to pick up bikes weekly. So far...so good. I love the trailer.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Check your ramp NOW!!!

Yesterday I went to load training bikes on the trailer for the Ride Like A Pro West Coast course. As I was attaching the ramp I noticed that severe metal fatigue caused the toungue on the ramp to crack.

So if you have a Kendon, please check your ramp and avert the possibility of catastrophic failure.

Mark
The ramp on the Kendon is a joke! I can't believe that for 2,200 bucks, Kendon can't provide a wider/safer ramp. I wouldn't try to load a heavy bike on a Kendon alone because there's nowhere to put your feet down, unless you lay milk crates or cinder blocks down on both sides of the ramp.
IMO, the only real advantage of a Kendon is its ability to be stored upright. As far as loading and unloading a bike, I give it a F.
I've used my friend's ALUMA and it's a breeze compared to the Kendon. Oh and it doesn't rust either.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Thanks, the ramp on my '03 is different but I'll have a look anyway.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had dual rail, sold it! If you have a need to use the spare tire, it's located under the trailer. You unload trailer, remove trailer,lift trailer to gain access to spare. I had the rock guard on mine, very heavy front end. I now use an enclosed trailer. I like the looks of the ULUMA.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,427 Posts

A couple years ago I had a 600# capacity manual winch put on the tongue. The missus cranks the bike on to the trailer and I guide it on the ramp and into the wheel chock. Could go electric winch for one person loading or make the loading even easier but the current system works just fine

Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
A couple years ago I had a 600# capacity manual winch put on the tongue. The missus cranks the bike on to the trailer and I guide it on the ramp and into the wheel chock. Could go electric winch for one person loading or make the loading even easier but the current system works just fine
I'm sure your solution works but personally, I never felt comfortable walking a 800lbs bike up a narrow ramp, as the mfg recommends, even with a winch.
A wider ramp allowing me to ride my bike onto the trailer with the ability to put my feet down would have been a much better and much safer alternative.
Just my opinion.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
The ramp on the Kendon is a joke! I can't believe that for 2,200 bucks, Kendon can't provide a wider/safer ramp. I wouldn't try to load a heavy bike on a Kendon alone because there's nowhere to put your feet down, unless you lay milk crates or cinder blocks down on both sides of the ramp.
IMO, the only real advantage of a Kendon is its ability to be stored upright. As far as loading and unloading a bike, I give it a F.
I've used my friend's ALUMA and it's a breeze compared to the Kendon. Oh and it doesn't rust either.
Well the ONLY reason I got a Kendon was because I lack storage space and it folds up and stores along the wall in my driveway. If I had room for a flatbed with drop down ramp I would get one. As for the narrow ramp, I bolted a wide piece of plywood under it to allow me to walk it up.