General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Mr.Grumpy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...

... the bugs in your mouth and the water in your eyes.
This might be a good question for the old timers.
OK folks, seriously. I am haveing the hardest time gettting used to a half helmet. The wind stings my eyes something fierce and makes them water. All that makes it hard to see. Now, there was a small wind shield on the bike but I though that it might be the root of the problem so I took it off. It's now different, but just as bad. I wear a stylish (not too big, not to small, no odd pretrubances) pair of prescription eyeglasses or sun glasses when I ride. I do NOT get this effect when riding with a full face helmet with the visor open. What gives? Do I need larger glasses? Wrap-around style? Do I just need some Man Training and suck it up and get used to it. Besides the increased viabillity and convienience of the smal helmet, I would prefer to use on like this since I bent the hell out of a $400 set of glasses last year sliding them into and out of a full-face.

Thanks guys,

ken

Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...

A friend of mine got some prescription goggles made. Works well for her.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Stellier
Intermediate

Yeah, I found out how bad the wind was when I bought my first half helmet. I also wear prescription glasses and just went to pick up some fit-overs in the sunglass section at Wal-Mart and that worked for me, but now I've got some Wiley-X's (SG1). You can order the set and the lenses are RX ready also through the website. But HD has cheeper sets that will do the same. Have your prescription ready and shop around.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the prescription goggles sound like a good idea but I have a question. I am blind as a bat without my glasses. I do not experinece the same problem when riding with my half helmet, but have considered getting prescription goggles anyway, My question is do you carry your glasses along with you when you ride? What do you wear when you get off the bike for any period of time while on a road trip? You can't walk around an event with your goggles on , so you must also carry your glasses with you right? Since I don't have the watering problem maybe I will just stay with the glasses. Why have to deal with two sets of lenses. Damn I wish I could wear contacts, but my script is so bad I can't.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I too have the half helmet blahs... I ride with it once in a while, but for long rides, I put my nog cozily in my full face Arai. Quiet, and safe. I got a silver one that is cooler in summer than black. Cruising around town I am fine in a half lid, but on the open road at 80, with the kooks around here letting all kinds of stuff fly off or out of their vehicles? Full Face!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:07 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

When I had my first bike, I used a full face helmet. When I bought my Harley last year, I used the half helmet like you do. I know what you are going through. I also wear glasses and I decided to get a pair of light weight goggles by Airfoil. They only cost me $30 and they keep the wind out of my eyes. Works for me

Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm shopping right now for a pair of tinted goggles that will go over my prescription glasses. I think that will be the answer for when I use my half helmet. With my full face Nolan I wear my prescription sun glasses.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Big goggles suck......like ski goggle size. They drove me nuts. Pitched 'em. Wrap-around sunglasses work great..........some of the HD dealers carry the PanOptix that allows one to have their prescription put in them, clear, sun, or even transitional. The lenses are interchangeable. Not cheap.

Or, you can go with a 3/4 helmet and a bubble shield or a full-face..............another alternative is lasik surgery......keep experimenting....you'll find what is right for you.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
05UltraClassic
Advanced

I had my prescription sunglasses fitted into a Ray-Ban frame that wraps around some. Works well.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too suffered until....................................

I went to J&P and ordered a set of fitovers.
Look just like big wraparounds and fit right over my prescrips.

No problems

I think they were about 19 bucks. And they are polarized.

Quick Reply: The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...