General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...

Get the ridingglasses with the foam gasket around the edges. They still look like cool wrap-around sunglasses but will save you from getting blinded by a bug or rock in the eye.

Way too much wind to wear normal glasses at anything above about 35 mph IMHO.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:18 PM
blaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use prescription glasses with transition lenses, specfically made for riding.

my optomitrist rides, too, so maybe that's why he carries them. i'd recommend asking your doc.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to wear goggles but got sick of the limited sight,now use a windshield for cruising.When the need for speed hits I pop it off and wear glasses with side shields.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mr.Grumpy

... the bugs in your mouth and the water in your eyes.
This might be a good question for the old timers.
OK folks, seriously. I am haveing the hardest time gettting used to a half helmet. The wind stings my eyes something fierce and makes them water. All that makes it hard to see. Now, there was a small wind shield on the bike but I though that it might be the root of the problem so I took it off. It's now different, but just as bad. I wear a stylish (not too big, not to small, no odd pretrubances) pair of prescription eyeglasses or sun glasses when I ride. I do NOT get this effect when riding with a full face helmet with the visor open. What gives? Do I need larger glasses? Wrap-around style? Do I just need some Man Training and suck it up and get used to it. Besides the increased viabillity and convienience of the smal helmet, I would prefer to use on like this since I bent the hell out of a $400 set of glasses last year sliding them into and out of a full-face.

Thanks guys,

ken
I wear aviator style Rx glasses (current style be damned) and I have no problem with my half helmet. But then I'm 67, kinda set in my ways, and don't care much for what is fashionable or what other people think; works for me.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: HogDeluxe

I have done extensive research on this subject. There are a million ways to go. But here is my conclusion, Panoptic perscription sun glasses with transition lenses and theremoveable foam inserts. You have one set of glases to deal with and you can remove the foam and ware them as regular sunglasses and the lens adjusts for the light. I've tried googles over glasses (that sucks) I've worn contracts and goggles or sun glasses, the wind dries out your contacts. Tries it all andnothing seems to work. Perscription Panoptics are expensive but worth the cost It's a safety issue, what's your life worth?
If it's a safety issue then why should anyone spend a couple of hundred bucks on someexpensive motorcycle sunglassesto enable them to wear a helmet that only protects 38 percent of oftheir head and face ?

I own an ACC Carbon Fiber DOTExtended Half Helmet and now rarely use it.Between the wind in the ears,rain and other crap hitting your face,and the issue of optimaleye protection....that's too many compromises just to wear a helmet that doesn't provide much safety in the first place.

A 3/4 Helmet gives me enough air circulation to be comfortable in the heat,wind in the ears no longer a problem,provides more safety and the Helmet I use (Nolan N42) has a secondary tinted partial face shield (sunglasses no longer needed)that can be lifted out of the way at night.

Harley riders around here RARELY wear any helmet at all,if I'm going to take the road less traveled by wearing one,might as well make it something safe and comfortable.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

try emptying out your old gold fish bowl and using that
360 degree visability

Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
str8pipe
Advanced

i wear any thing from cheap safty glasses to sun glasses. never had a problem

Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant open my eyes when ridin,, to scaret

Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 PM
vicks96
Tourer

I wear the HD Basic Rider helmet(3/4) and have Liberty perscription wrap arounds. $200 bucks and they work GREAT. They do cut out a small bit of your peripheral vision, you just have to be careful to look back farther when changing lanes but they cut the wind like a knife.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the look of half helmets but have never liked wearing them. I use a H-D3/4 helmet with a flip shield, and an HJC full face helmet. Both are comfortable and completely practical. When the weather is too hot for the full helmet, the 3/4 does fine. Not as cool as a half, but I still like it better.

Quick Reply: The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...