General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:50 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...

I tried to Google j&pglasses and struck out. Any suggestions?

Old 05-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was checking out helmets at a site mentioned in another thread that gave the name Jafrum helmets On this site they have half shields for half helmets They attach to the front screws They say may not work with all half helmets and designed to fit their helmets but interesting idea Only $10

Old 05-26-2006, 04:03 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but the website that I have visited before is www.jpcycles.com. Is that the one that we are talking about here?
ORIGINAL: whaap

I tried to Google j&pglasses and struck out. Any suggestions?

Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Stellier
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I just put my glasses in the goggle case. Just get a fork bag and put the case in there, that worked for me too. The whole reason I got the goggles was because I needed the clear and the tint lenses since I ride to work in the morning when it's dark and home in the blazin' sun. But I also ride with a backpack so all my stuff goes in there. But which ever works for you.
I wanted to get contacts too, but I can't imagine sicking my fingers in my eyes to see, plus I'd worry about wind, dirt and possibly loosing a contact while riding.
There's plenty of styles of goggles to choose from, just shop around. WileyX.com, ESS.com, HD.com, etc

Old 06-30-2007, 11:40 PM
HogDeluxe
Former Sponsor

I have done extensive research on this subject. There are a million ways to go. But here is my conclusion, Panoptic perscription sun glasses with transition lenses and theremoveable foam inserts. You have one set of glases to deal with and you can remove the foam and ware them as regular sunglasses and the lens adjusts for the light. I've tried googles over glasses (that sucks) I've worn contracts and goggles or sun glasses, the wind dries out your contacts. Tries it all andnothing seems to work. Perscription Panoptics are expensive but worth the cost It's a safety issue, what's your life worth?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 AM
mark1957222
Tourer

I to wear prescription glass. Right now I use a 3/4 helmet with flip up full face shield (VR-1). I was thinking about getting a 1/2 helmet and goggles also. The problem is my glasses are large aviator types, 6" across and I can only find 2 different goggles that will even fit. None of cool looking ones will, Cocoons only go to 5 1/2". So I would need to get new, smaller glasses ($300).
Then I thought if you have to wear goggles, you won't be seeing any better than with a 3/4 helmet anyway and you would also need to wear a bandanna over your mouth and nose to keep bugs and road crap from hitting your face.
So I think for now, I'll just stick with my 3/4 verses a 1/2 helmet, bulky goggles and a bandanna wrapped across my face.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 AM
belmac
Cruiser

might want to give this a try http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D...C5CEE6EFFA91F2

Old 07-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

For me, both goggles and theglasses with foam around the framecreated some severe blind spots that I thought were much worse than wearing a full face helmet. I have a couple of windshields, a mid-size dark tinted one that looks great with my bike and the tall stock clear windshield for the rainy days here in Oregon. The mid-size windshield keeps the wind off my chest for highway speeds and the prescription glasses I wear are ray-ban wrap-around dark tinted sunglasses...obviously, I can't wear these at night so I am still searching for the perfect solution - I'll keep checking on this thread to see what a better solution might be. In the cold weather or rainy days, I tend to wear my full face FXRG helmet.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:00 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on how sensitive your eyes are and what you are trying to accomplish. For hot weather, I wear a half helmet with a face shield. That gives me an easy on/off helmet with good cooling air flow. Next, get the self stick velcro and stick the soft side in a strip across the lower inside of the shield. Finally, experiment with a vinyl/leather/plastic flap attached to the rough velcro side. You will still get the cool comfort, but can reduce the turbulence on your eyes as much as you want. I ended up with a leather flap that extends about 1.5 inches from the back of the shield.

Since I use this helmet in the hot summer, the shield is dark tinted. You don't even need to mess with sun glasses. Just pop it on and go.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, here's what works. When I'm touring, I wear Panoptx day/night sun glasses with the foam inserts, a HD Midway Helmet and the HD Universal face shield (1/2 face shield). My wife wears the same. I've also got the standard windshield on my RKC. The face shield keeps therain off your glasses and prevents fogging. This setup seems to work pretty well for me.

Quick Reply: The wind in your hair, the sun on your face...