General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers/Salesmen....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:16 PM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in 2 bikes a few weeks ago and sent an email to every dealer that I would be willing to visit. I pretty much said, here are my trades (I included several pictures), I am looking to buy ______ I want X for my trades and want you to send me back your best deal (i.e. new bike price, less trade1, less trade 2, plus tax, tag and any additional fees). This email is being sent to all the dealers in my state and many in a neighboring state. I look forward to you earning my business.

Approximately 2 weeks later I wrapped up the deal with dealer 2.5 hours away while passing 5 others on the way. He cut my trade $200 once I got there for something minor, but legitimate.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Face it dude. They just don't want your POS.

Last edited by ken thompson; 07-20-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Rider
Most Harleys on ebay don't make their reserve price. Why? They are overpriced. If it's not selling, the price is too high.
true, true. There's a real education in current market conditions availble for free on your computer. Spend a few hours researching completed auctions on ebay. You'll see soon enough which bikes are selling and why. 2800 Harley-Davidson's for sale on ebay right now... almost one third of the bikes for sale on ebay are Harley's. But only a small percentage ever sell. Lots of bikes don't get a single offer. The bikes that sell are either exceptional bikes or good deals. Average bikes at average prices go unsold all the time.

You have an advantage when you are buying a bike from a dealer... he needs to sell his merchandise in order to make a profit and stay in business. But he cannot afford to sell bikes and not make a profit.

If you think you know what your bike is worth, put it up on ebay.... you'll always do better selling it yourself than to a dealer on trade.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM
msankey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jason628
Greetings,

Ah I deal with people like you daily...Our prices are too high (either at or under MSRP depending on model), and we're not giving you enough on trade even though we show you a check-out sheet stating your bike needs brakes, tires, and a service because the oil is black. Fortunately unreasonable people like you are in the minority. Most understand logic and our point of view. I wouldn't have sold 338 bikes (new and used) last year and yes, it's a little slower this year as I'm on pace to do right at 300 this year.

So do I know what I'm talking about? Yes I do. My rant about moronic customers is over.
Congrats on your sales. However, I didn't mention anything about pricing. I paid msrp. Didn't flinch. You have to make money and the dealers need to stay open. My largest complaint is overall quality of salesmen and knowledge of the product. I hate going into dealers and treated like dirt because I already have a bike. Even though I have a bike, I may be sizing up dealers and salesmen for my next purchase. Its happened countless times. I think we all can agree a general improvement in customer service is needed.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
marc the shark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redling36
I traded in 2 bikes a few weeks ago and sent an email to every dealer that I would be willing to visit. I pretty much said, here are my trades (I included several pictures), I am looking to buy ______ I want X for my trades and want you to send me back your best deal (i.e. new bike price, less trade1, less trade 2, plus tax, tag and any additional fees). This email is being sent to all the dealers in my state and many in a neighboring state. I look forward to you earning my business.

Approximately 2 weeks later I wrapped up the deal with dealer 2.5 hours away while passing 5 others on the way. He cut my trade $200 once I got there for something minor, but legitimate.
Soo for someone without trade ins just looking to get a new left over 09 when the 2010 come out would you suggest doing the email route??? I have about 8 dealerships in a drivable distance from me that I could deal with... Would an email saying here's what I want with x,y,z options, give me a price be sufficient?