General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Alarm System Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Effex
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Alarm System Question

I picked up my first Harley last week (2003 Night Train) and the owner actually did not mention that it had the factory alarm installed. Stupid question as I do not have the manual and did a search but I could not find any info. I am assuming 2 clicks of the fob activates the alarm and another 2 clicks deactivates it? I read some posts from people not utilizing the auto arming feature as it is a pain in the as* so I guess I will refrain from doing so. Anything else I should know about the alarm.

Thanks guys

Old 05-23-2006, 06:46 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Noob Alarm System Question

Press it and keep it pressed till it bleeps to activate it, 2 quick presses to deactivate it.
Stand fairly close, they dont have much range.

You will know that it is armed by watching for the little red key blinking slowly on and off in the spedometer dial face.

Deactivated of course you will not see the key shaped light blink at all.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Effex
Novice

Thanks man

Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're almost right. To arm, hold down the button on the fob till the lights blink and you hear the chirp, you will then see the security light blink on the speedo. To disarm, press the button twice, you may or may not hear a chirp, but the lights will blink again. Check the speedo and see if the blinking security light has gone out. Start up, ride off.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

You're almost right. To arm, hold down the button on the fob till the lights blink and you hear the chirp, you will then see the security light blink on the speedo. To disarm, press the button twice, you may or may not hear a chirp, but the lights will blink again. Check the speedo and see if the blinking security light has gone out. Start up, ride off.
Thanks. You described it better than I did

Old 05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
CoolChrome
Cruiser

when you buy a new harley it comes with a DVD.

It tells exactly how to set the alarm , disarm it with and without the key fob.

How to set your own personal ID code, to synchronize the fob...

Maybe you can find the DVD at your dealer. or just borrow from someone and copy it...

Old 05-23-2006, 07:43 PM
superdog48
Tourer

If you can get the code from the previous owner, you can reset the code to your own numbers. If the fob battery goes dead and you have it attivated you can go and de-attivate it, but you will still nead the manual to see how it is done.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Bluerose

Mine does not chirp at all (setting or deactivating) the lights just flash.

I so ... lost my cool factor when I couldn't get the alarm disarmed right away the first time I used it Took me like 3 or 4 tries...lol

Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

You're almost right. Arming is right, press and hold, but you will not hear a chirp unless you have the smartsiren. The lights should blink twice. Disarm was right, and the lights will blink once. Pain in the ***, but the system disables the EFI (if equipped) and the starter. I use it every time. Happy riding.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:44 PM
reefteach
Tourer

ORIGINAL: superdog48

If you can get the code from the previous owner, you can reset the code to your own numbers. If the fob battery goes dead and you have it attivated you can go and de-attivate it, but you will still nead the manual to see how it is done.
Agree. Get the service manual. It is worth it.

Quick Reply: Noob Alarm System Question