Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutchless Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

yes sometimes I shift without the clutch. The thing that is different between the sportbikes and harley engines is the momentum of the engine. You have to be careful to match the rpm when you switch without the clutch, there isn't much error. By that I mean with a lighter engine you don't notice if the rpm isn't right, the gear forces it to the correct rpm. With a harley, it gives a tremedous clunk and the bike will lundge forward and I assume puts a lot of strain on the engine and tranny if the rpm isn't correct. And the problem is, it is an easy mistake to make, on a sports bike you shift without the clutch to save that fraction of a second shft time when you're accelerating. So on a harley, you rev er out to speed up, then like on a sport bike ease off on the gas and click the shifter at the same instant. Well the engine rpm is still matching the previous gear and that's when you have the problem. It's not a good feeling.

I don't know if I explained this very well, but in my experience, it's better to use the clutch on a harley. If you're accelerating slowly then go ahead and shift clutchless, avoid clutchless shifts on a hard acceleration.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
jokerx
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
No I don't but yes you can. If you unload the transmission by feathering the throttle momentarily and shift---they will go into gear without using the clutch. In my opinion that is hard on a transmission.
It's not hard on the transmission; Harley is a constant mesh tranny, it can be done with ease and no ill effect on the tranny.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New question, for more technical gear heads.
I know not using the clutch is not hard on the tranny. But is there any benefit to not using the clutch? Like does this act save wear and tear on the clutch or parts?

I only do this when I'm too lazy to pull in the clutch. Is there any reason to do this more often?

I've always wondered this.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
New question, for more technical gear heads.
I know not using the clutch is not hard on the tranny. But is there any benefit to not using the clutch? Like does this act save wear and tear on the clutch or parts?

I only do this when I'm too lazy to pull in the clutch. Is there any reason to do this more often?

I've always wondered this.
Every time you engage the clutch you are wearing it out. Granted, ever so slightly, but you are wearing it out. Over the coarse of xxx number of miles in the life of a clutch it will definitely last longer if you use it half as much. The same logic applies to the clutch cable and any clutch adjustments along the way. That said, IMHO I believe most of the wear on a clutch comes from starting off in 1st gear and improper downshifting. So when you consider that and the fact that if you do force the gear change and fxxx-up your trany the cost saving may not justify the non-use of your clutch between gears.

Jay

Old 07-17-2009, 02:26 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,309 Posts

When I was riding dirtbikes, clutchless shifting, both up and down, was a way of life. Wouldn't think of it in the bike though.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:32 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knitski
I did it once by accident, gawking at the great scenery, and was surprised when it worked. I've never tried it again.

+1 well I hit a bump that caused me to shift without the clutch

Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Badasstrike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any transmission with syncro gears can be shifted without the clutch. The reason for a clutch in the first place is to take the load off both the engine and tranny in unison to prevent shocking the drivetrain. If you try shiffting clutchless in an over-rev situation damage may occur.

Last edited by Badasstrike; 07-17-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

You guys may not remember this, but back in the 50's there was a Brit built Indian 500 single called a woodsman. It was a 1 up 3 down shifter and I remember guys that had them never used the clutch. Just stomped the shifter to get thru the gears. Seemed to work really well, however I do not know about the longivety.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

It will, but I don't and won't.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

semi no clutch on the fatboy always

Quick Reply: Clutchless Shifting?