General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NC crash data

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009 | 10:53 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Statistics look off to me but I am a skeptic of people who gather statistics.

Old 07-17-2009 | 11:02 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Great point.

I would say that everybody uses countersteering (otherwise they would NEVER make it around any curve) but not everybody understands it. I have found that crossing that center line happens when folks go into a curve too fast and in that moment of truth go back to "driving a car" instead of ridng a motorcycle. Then they meet reality head on as you said.

By that I mean they abandon their motorcycle skills and start thinking that like a car they need to turn the wheel more into the turn. This in fact countersteers them directly across the center line and into oncoming traffic. This is often compounded when riders do incorrect things like look at the on coming traffic, decellerate, or apply brakes.

So the only way to minimize this is to practice countersteering and cornering on a regular basis. And riding to see the sights and get a bite with your friends is NOT the same as practice.

Mark
I had a chance to watch this unfold to a rider right in front of me in May. Crossed the centerline, and right over the cliff. Your assessment is dead on.

Old 07-17-2009 | 12:35 PM
chopfury
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Toypuller
North Carolina has (or had until recently) a loophole in the motorcycle laws.

A person could get a learner's permit that was good for 18 months by passing a vision and short written exam.

The learner's permit could be renewed indefinitely. So that means you could ride on North Carolina's roads without ever taking a practical test or having a full motorcycle license.
It is still in effect - I still haven't taken the test because I can't be bothered to wait in line for three hours. I'll do it soon though. Only stipulation is I can't carry a passenger.

Old 07-17-2009 | 12:58 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain

As for age, I remember looking at those stats on the NHSTA website. Most fatalities occur in riders under 21 or over 55 - no surprise at all. Also, most fatalities happen after midnight and with alcohol involved. Take all those out and riding a bike isn't any more dangerous than driving a car <- that is a general statement and not a dead accurate, super specific one, JMHO.

Old 07-17-2009 | 09:57 PM
rfranz1952
Tourer

Sounds like an argument for mandatory rider training to get or keep a license.