General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary is leaking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
LoudAssPipes29
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary is leaking!!!

Okay, i've got an '02 fxst. carbed, and when i bought it it had a slight leak out of the primary. Just recently, it seems to have gotten worse. i'm thinking it would need more fluid, I just don't know where to put the new fluid. any help would be awesome. I'm planning to change out the inspection cover and the gasket that goes with it, the guy at the dealership said whoever owned it before me might have overtightened it. anyway, if you could let me know how to refill my primary, that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Howard.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the HD manual specific for your bike. It has most of the information you need in the order you need it.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is the leak coming from? From the small inspection cover on the outside center of the primary? From the big round cover on the outside rear of the primary? If yes to either of these, the gasket will be cheap and you should be able to change it out easily. I'm not sure what bolts an '02 uses, but my '05 & '06 both use a T27 torx bit. If you are replacing either of these check your MOM and it should show you how to drain your primary oil. You can put the new primary oil back in through the cover as you replace the gasket.

If the oil is coming from the back side of the primary, it could be primary oil or even transmission oil. There are several inexpensive seals which could be leaking back there, but you will pay a few $$$ to have someone remove enough stuff to get to them.

Edmo

Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Drain from drainplug, and FILL through inspection opening. No need to remove derby cover!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Edmo
check your MOM and it should show you how to drain your primary oil.

Edmo
I asked my MOM this and she said "how the hell should I know?"

Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

every time I check my "MOM"
I get slapped!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

(THAT is NOT "Ready To "F" Momma)

IF you want to do it right, resolve the leak, whatever that takes, then fill with the amount MOMMA tells you to put in. Usually, that is to the bottom of the clutch pac.
OR, chit can the whole set up, and throw in a BDL belt primary. Your choiice. I run belts.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 AM
DXrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
Drain from drainplug, and FILL through inspection opening. No need to remove derby cover!!!
I have to fill mine through the durby cover. 26oz. It's a 02 twincam. Isn't the inspection cover to inspect the primary chain. I f I was the gut with the leak I would pull off the whole primary cover, inspect everything and replace all the seals and gaskets. Then you know where your at. After that just change the primary oil every 5000k.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

+1 on removing pri.drain plug, torx plug on back bottom of primary case. Remove primary chain inspection cover, oval plate with for screws, and add fluid in there. Now here's a couple of choices call a dealer and ask how many ozs. the particular model takes or remove the the derby cover and fill to bottom of clutch pack, with the bike standing upright. Buy a service manual Hd or Clymer they information that will really help you out. Get the leak fixed.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

DXrider why do you have to fill thru the derby cover? The primary chain inspection cover makes life so simple. Jus' wondering.

Quick Reply: Primary is leaking!!!