General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Motorcycle Fatalities

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=txfxstrider;5276373]... It also seems like drivers that state that they did not see the motorcycle are never charged or even cited.QUOTE]

I often wonder if a driver killed a mother in a car - would they then be cited?
Seems like states think Motorcycle owners are not people.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:05 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One motorcycle fatality is to much but don't forget to take in account the size of Texas, the total population of Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin and the rest of the state. Of the total population 24,873,773, the metroplitan population is 21,750,946. That's a lot of people. Does anyone know how many motorcycles are in Texas? I know, somebody's going to say, "all of them."

Last edited by shortride; 07-16-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

It may not be open season on Texas bikers, however there is not too much of a penality for killing one out of season! That is a BIG part of the problem.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
TXISKING
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the penalty doesn't seem to be stiff enough for the death of bikers or cagers in accidents. I will be watching the accident in Corsicana very close to see the outcome. This case should be an example. Seems the pickup driver had marijuana and oxcycotin in the truck crossed the yellow line and killed 3. All after passing about 25 in line prior to that. If this guy don't get the maximum penalty available, we should all ride to Austin to get things changed.

Be safe and keep your head on a swivel.......

Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
It may not be open season on Texas bikers, however there is not too much of a penality for killing one out of season! That is a BIG part of the problem.

You are exactly right. I think a lot of people must think it's just another outlaw off the street.

Swestbrook60 is also correct. Texas has performed miserably in road construction and maintenance. Seems most of the politicians only want to see privately owned toll roads built. The Gov's and TXDOT's pet projects. Large political contributions pay very good dividends.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

like so many other laws, wait till one of the lawmakers kids are killed by a cager while on there bike, Them Holly$hit will break out, I can hear them now, I didn't know that many people were killed on bikes, always reactive, never pro-active...

Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Not everyone doesn't see you coming. You sometimes end up with nuts like this:

http://www.kens5.com/latestnews/stor....2fc85da3.html

Or the flip side of the coin like the rider that died a block away from my house because he was doing a wheelie and hit a Mercedes while doing it.

I have to admit that it seems like driving around here has gotten worse than usual (even when I'm in a car). It feels like every day there is some idiot either weaving between lanes, or straddling two lanes, or changing lanes with no signal when they are going slow in their lane and I'm starting to pass in another.

I'm curious about one thing. Do they count scooter deaths in motorcycle deaths (basically do "motorcycle deaths" mean anything on two wheels)? You don't read about them, but there have to be people on scooters that get hit since you can't hear them and they are certainly harder to see than a motorcycle.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Mister H
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCB
Regardless 1 is really too many.
+1........

Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Shocking statistics in today's paper. According to the Texas Department of Transportation: 2008 fatalities and incapacitating injuries, Motorcyclists: 536 fatalities, 2477 incapacitating injuries.

In my own county there were 32 fatalities and 131 incapacitating injuries which is actually less than I expected because it seems like at least one fatality every week. It also seems like drivers that state that they did not see the motorcycle are never charged or even cited.

Ride safe and defensively.

Sounds about right. I was driving around Dallas and Ft. Worth on Wednesday night and most of the day Thursday. Scared the **** outta me!!! And I was in a cage!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
caseman
Novice

Just Googling some stuff:

• 30% of motorcycle fatalities, the rider was not endorsed/licensed for a motorcycle
  • in 30% of motorcycle fatalities the rider was drunk
  • About 36% of motorcycle fatalities could have been prevented by a helmet.
I know a lot of new riders are getting big and powerful bikes, not having 10 hours experience on lesser powered, lighter bikes.

I personally think everyone should start off on a dirt bike. Ride the pi$$ out of it and drop it a couple times before going to a street bike.

Wear all your gear, all the time.

Quick Reply: Texas Motorcycle Fatalities