General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did I get a crappy helmet???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Does your bike have a windshield? Differing heights of windshields can greatly influence the amount of turbulence that you would experience on your helmet. Other than that, I can't really see that you'd get much of a different result switching between one half-helmet to another one. Since you mention that you haven't ridden in years, perhaps you're just more sensitive to the wind now than you used to be back then?

If it remains a problem, try switching to a 3/4 helmet. With your ears covered, it is much quieter. I use both a half and a 3/4, but for me the choice is mostly due to the air temperature, not the wind noise.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:48 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GBeck
As a pilot for 28 years of both helicopters and airplanes in the military and civilian world I am very conscious of anything that will reduce my hearing consequently trashing my lifelong career. I've read numerous studies on hearing loss, but the best was done on Superbike racers. The NUMBER 1 reason for profound hearing loss was NOT the engine and exhaust noise but WIND passing over the surface of the helmet and meeting resistence from protrusions and gaps in the visor.

I haven't always used ear plugs, but like age effects eyesight, my hearing was suffering from my riding. Using earplugs 100% of the time has significantly improved my hearing even though I know the silia in the coqlia [sp?], once damaged, will not recover from severe/intense or continuous high dB/high freq noise. Earplugs also seems to increase my enjoyment and help tune out distractions.
+2...........I use earplugs any time I am not riding around town. My first trip to Sturgis in 2003 taught me about the wind causing hearing issues.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I prefer a full helmet. It has it's downside, but is much more comfortable at 75mph.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts too... I'd suggest going and trying on other helmets. You might find one that best suits your needs.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ear plugs!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I like to wrap the excess strap between my chin and the strap. That flopping around will beat you to death.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:35 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Not sure about your helmet but you may be able to tuck the straps through the middle to put a twist in the sections by your ears. It should eliminate any resonance in the straps.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 AM
captain m
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

My straps used to make a lot of noise until I taped owl feathers to them.....now they are virtually silent !!!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GBeck
As a pilot for 28 years of both helicopters and airplanes in the military and civilian world I am very conscious of anything that will reduce my hearing consequently trashing my lifelong career. I've read numerous studies on hearing loss, but the best was done on Superbike racers. The NUMBER 1 reason for profound hearing loss was NOT the engine and exhaust noise but WIND passing over the surface of the helmet and meeting resistence from protrusions and gaps in the visor.

I haven't always used ear plugs, but like age effects eyesight, my hearing was suffering from my riding. Using earplugs 100% of the time has significantly improved my hearing even though I know the silia in the coqlia [sp?], once damaged, will not recover from severe/intense or continuous high dB/high freq noise. Earplugs also seems to increase my enjoyment and help tune out distractions.
+3 (or 4) lost count..... but my 28 years with Uncle Sam has left me with tinnitus, and riding does NOT help it. I ride with a 3/4 helmet to block the wind noise - and ear plugs to save what's left of my hearing.

GBeck - thanks for your service! it is appreciated

Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 AM
ALPHA_MALE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tas_todd
70 mph winds are what kills my ears so, I just use ear plugs.
ya plugs 4 me 2

Quick Reply: did I get a crappy helmet???