General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber helmet safety?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i am not convinced a stronger shell is the answer to a safer helmet.
It is what is inside the shell that matters most. Most deaths are caused by head injuries.....due to a high g force impact. When you need is something capable of slowing down the sharp impact of the skull into that housing. It has to be energy absorbing. Carbon fiber?.....Heck if the shell was the answer? a concrete helmet would be great...not! What happens is your brain gets slammed into your skull.....the idea of a better helmet is to slow the speed that your head reaches full impact by absorbing the energy. like dropping an egg onto a cement floor with a couple paper towels to cushion it, or onto a mattress....see what I mean? The egg fares better on the mattress! Try the egg on a temperpedic foam bed and I bet it is better yet...see what I mean about the technology of energy absorption.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a real bad wreck with mine on and it saved my life. Ruined the helmet & they sent me a new one. They were just happy it kept my noggin safe. Nice people.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Thanks for the good advise. I wasn't really thinking about the unseen, internal structural damage that may have occurred. I'll be getting in touch with ACC today. Free replacement or not; I'm getting a new one.

Brian

Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I've heard from enough people who have been in accidents to believe that my ACC DOT helmet will protect my skull and my brain in the event of a crash....

If I face-plant, however.......

Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cohiba_Joe
Thanks for the good advise. I wasn't really thinking about the unseen, internal structural damage that may have occurred. I'll be getting in touch with ACC today. Free replacement or not; I'm getting a new one.

Brian
Great decision !

Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont know the difference in specs but my snell spec helmet is softer safer feeling than my dot approved helmet.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM
tlustine
Cruiser
Wink

Brian
That's the absolute right choice.... great to know that you came through that tough "tumble" able to speak... much less considering another helmet. Ride On!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:20 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Brian
good move.... As big as you are and the fact that it was a direct hit I wouldn't chance it. They really are only designed for one impact.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM
TideRKC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
i dont know the difference in specs but my snell spec helmet is softer safer feeling than my dot approved helmet.
But it may not be. Interesting read:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber helmet safety?