General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep from splashing gas when you fill up

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
knitski
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to keep from splashing gas when you fill up

I never had a problem with this in five years of driving but one fill-up a few weeks ago got me good. My chin, my jacket, and my tank got a bath. Now I'm so paranoid I splash out every time. I know you're thinking don't fill it so full but with my 3.3 gal tank I'd be stopping every time I turned around. So does anybody have any fool-proof tricks for filling up without putting half the gas on yourself?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is really worrying you then you should get this and worry less and ride more. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...261810001r5038

I read on here that for people with the problem, it works well.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a big blowback once when I was half way through an iron butt and dead tired. Went right into my face and eyes. Burned like hell and I was running around looking for a rinse station at the pumps but there was none to be found. Where's Osha when you need them.

One facefull of gas is enough so I don't expect to ever make the same mistake. I always pay attention to where the nozzle is. I would say the only foolproof way to avoid it is to get one of those McCuff things. I got one of the genuine HD models for the wife (honest) and it really does work. Gets it almost to the top before the pump lever kicks off. Just don't let any real bikers see you using it

Last edited by jimmers1817; 07-13-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

McCuff works, I use it when I think of it. If not using it, I make sure the side hole on the nozzle is in the tank, and I have learned not to try and squeak that extra burst in after it auto shuts off.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"trigger control" works for me

Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

This thread is like DejaVu. Seems like we have been here many times.

Once I sneezed real big right when I was just about a the top. Shot gas all over the place. My leather jacket smelled of gas for months.

Just take a deep breath and relax. I always hold a paper towel under the nozzle when inserting it in the tank.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just open the tank let the gas pressure expel for a lil while, especially on these hot *** days and carefully trigger fill. However, I must admit I got gas on my tank last week nonetheless. It's so aggravating!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Some pumps have a trigger that's very hard to control. I try to stop at the places where I know the trigger is easily controlled. If I stop somewhere I haven't been before, and find the trigger hard to control, I don't worry so much about doing a "full" fill-up - just get it about as full as I can without having to mess with it.

Otherwise, I put the nozzle most of the way in and let it go until it clicks off - the I hold the nozzle OUT of the hole, so I can see the gas coming out the end, and I can see into the tank. As it nears full, I adjust my squeeze on the trigger so the gas is just barely coming out. I stop when the tank is completely full.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I went to fill up and there was a break where the hose met the housing (one of those types that hang from above). I lifted the lever and it sprayed me down like a shower.
Funny now.... sucked then lol

In general, I just try not to get distracted when filling the tiny peanut tank on the Sporty. It fills real quick and takes just a second for all hell to break loose!

Last edited by SHTFIT; 07-13-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts

I use my other hand to cover the opening while pumping.

Quick Reply: How to keep from splashing gas when you fill up