General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep from splashing gas when you fill up

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a problem with backsplash but sometimes my husband..............well!! Nevermind

Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
You forgot one:

Move to Jersey, they have professionals to fill your tank for you because no one in NJ knows how to properly pump their own gas.
I think it's great that we have full service in NJ and still have lower gas prices than most states. Seems others have to pump their own plus pay extra for the privilege.

But bikers still fill their own here. No one gets near my gas tank with a metal nozzle cept me.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM
jandt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW..... that is all i can say about the topic.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
NFFN
Banned

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
I keep hearing the words of an old timer I knew years ago when I first started riding...when something like this came up, he'd look at the guy with exaggerated deep concern, put his hand on the poor fellow's shoulder and then say very slowly..."It ain't rocket science, son...it's a Harley..."
This is probably the best post I have ever seen on this forum.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Once I sneezed real big right when I was just about a the top. Shot gas all over the place.
I can't recall ever having a problem with spilling while filling the tank. Now I know the next time I'm filling up I will have to sneeze.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
nighttraingirl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually just pull the nozzle out far enough that I can watch the gas flowing, and look inside the tank at the same time, you can see the gas rising in there if you look closely. If you do get a few droplets of gas on your tank, you are much better off just letting it evaporate instead of wiping it off. If you have waxed your tank properly, it'll be OK. Those painfully rough (usually blue) wipes that you find at the gas pumps are meant for a car windshield. Not your bike's paint! If you have a little spill just let it evaporate, and wash your bike as soon as you can. If you wipe it off with the provided towels, you will be the next one in the detailing area asking why you have scratches on the right side of your tank, and how to get rid of them.
NTGirl

Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
meathead1134
Cruiser

Originally Posted by knitski
I never had a problem with this in five years of driving but one fill-up a few weeks ago got me good. My chin, my jacket, and my tank got a bath. Now I'm so paranoid I splash out every time. I know you're thinking don't fill it so full but with my 3.3 gal tank I'd be stopping every time I turned around. So does anybody have any fool-proof tricks for filling up without putting half the gas on yourself?
It's easy, First thing you do when you get to the pump. Take the nozzle and point it at the ground. This wll get rid of any gas that will be in the nozzle left from the last person trying to top off their tank this will also prevent you from taking a bath. Second slowly put gas in your bike, do not hit the nozzle full blast you r not in a race. Third when the nozzle clicks off stop (basically this means that the tank is full) there unless the nozzle has a nice little sweet spot the put gas in slowly sttttttttoooooooooppppppp. Lastly tilt the nozzle so all of the gas comes out into your tank. As you remove the nozzle tilt it away from the tank so the nozzle point towards the sky. Thats it this is not rocket science. I use to be a gas jockey when I was younger and filled many many motorcycles without spilling gas.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

My son has the same prob...
The only thing I do is after filling which I do real slow, I don't just pull the nozzel out fast, because it will still have fuel in it.
Just remove it very slowly and let the fuel in the nozzle drain into the tank before removing it from the fill hole...

Works for me and only get a drop every once in a great while..
Son says it good for him now also..

Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer

This thread has become too much lol.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 AM
frankjake
Road Master

Years ago in Oregon a customer at a gas station drove off with the nozzzle still in the filler. This caused a fire and obviously some damage.

Oregon officials then decided the people are just too stupid to pump gas. So in Oregon you are not allowed to pump your own gas.

This may not sound like such a big deal but it is. You pull up to a pump and sit there and wait for the attendant to come over and start the pump. If on a bike, the attendant will hand you the nozzle so you can fill your own bike, but if you are in a any other vehicle, (or filling a gas can) you can NOT touch the nozzle.

Again doesn't seem like a big deal but then you have to wait again for the attendant to come back and remove the nozzle and shut off the pump. (unless you are on your bike, then you can put the nozzle back in it's place).

There is no such thing as a quick fuel stop. Usually I have to wait about a minute for someone to help me, then they don't lock the nozzle on the fastest notch, this is so they can go help other customers and not have to get back to you too quickly. Then you sit there another minute waiting for someone to come and remove the nozzle. It's really just a pain in the butt.

Also, every so often it will get on the ballot to stop this stupid law, but Oregon has so many older and retired people that they WANT the law so they don't have to get out and pump it themselves. The perfect law would give the customers a choice, pump it yourself or have it pumped for you. And either for the same price.

Sorry for the rant and sorry I got off subject a little.

Quick Reply: How to keep from splashing gas when you fill up