General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement...when???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
edude49
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery replacement...when???

I have an '03 Ultra with 32k miles. It has the original factory battery and has never given me any problems. Is always on battery tender during the winter and the volt-meter always shows over 16 volts.

I'm getting ready for a 3000 miler and would hate to have the battery die while on the road.

Since it is a sealed unit, I cannot check the specific gravity of the battery fluid.

Any "rule of thumb" advice for when to replace?

Thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

She's getting close if it's the original battery, about five years is the best I have heard from people who keep them on a tender.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New and or original batteries are subject to be bad right out of the factory. I had a battery replaced under warranty after only 6 months. Obviously you got one of the good one but don't discount the value and use of the Battery Tender. I've used a Battery Tender for more years than I can remember and have gotten wonderful extended service. I think in terms of length of life of a battery, 5 riding seasons is as long as I personally have had one last. With your current battery life, I would not take any chances with one as old as your. Personally, I would at least get a load test performed. Just because a battery will start your bike doesn't always mean the battery is up to par. Consider yourself lucky.

Last edited by shortride; 07-13-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change it every 3 yrs,I know it can last a lot longer,say6 or 8 yrs,My battery went at 2 and a half yrs (FLHTC 04), it shorted from within no sign ,just went like that,luckily I was only 50 miles from home But if you do distance riding like I do its not worth the risk.Jireh Cycles sell a Sealed AGM battery for $70 has the same cca as stock which sells for $160.Also my bike never sits more than 2 wks without a battery tender.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you took care of the battery. I don't see the reason to spend the money and generate more trash.

If you don't have any signs of battery problems such as

1. motor turns slowly
2. High beam gets dim when at idle

I would think your battery will last for another few years. If you encounter problems, push start or jump is easy. Wally world, Autozone and Advanced Auto are everywhere, unless you are a diehard HD consumer.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

The most I have gotton (or taken a chance with) is 5 years with a tender then I replace. Don't want to be stranded in nowhereville. The cost of a battery when you go shopping for it is cheaper then when you are stranded and the choices are few. Peach of mind goes a long way.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

could go anytime, heat is the worst enemy of a battery and most goes bad in the summer time.
you got 6yrs, that beter than most..

Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it on a load tester and that will tell you if it's going bad. I just replaced my battery on my FXST that was eight years old. It was always on a battery tender when parked and I made sure the terminals were clean. When I put it on a load tester is showed it was time to replace it. Don't take a chance on having it go out on your trip.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

my 00 ultra went 100k to 07 and traded it for the 07 with the original battery. just depends on usage.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had 3 years on my original battery, but changed it out this weekend since I’m going to Sturgis this year and don’t even want to think about starting issues. But last week I was dragging my feet thinking, heck everybody is getting 5 or more years out of a battery why shouldn’t I, my battery has never been fully discharged, has always been strong to start the bike, the lights hardly dim when I shut the bike off etc., etc., etc. But it rained on Sunday, so figured I had no excuse not to change the battery.

Well today I’m hella glad I did. One less thing to worry about. A benefit for me was that I cleaned all the connectors real good and tighten everything down. Now even though my 3 year old battery was in good condition, I can tell a difference in the speed which the bike now starts and the brightness of the head light with the motor off. For me, changing the battery was cheap peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement...when???