General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement...when???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 softail and had to replace the original battery a month and a half ago......you have some good years out of yours...batteries and not that expensive...just change it and be done with it....no fuss, no worries

Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by priceamp
I had 3 years on my original battery, but changed it out this weekend since I’m going to Sturgis this year and don’t even want to think about starting issues. But last week I was dragging my feet thinking, heck everybody is getting 5 or more years out of a battery why shouldn’t I, my battery has never been fully discharged, has always been strong to start the bike, the lights hardly dim when I shut the bike off etc., etc., etc. But it rained on Sunday, so figured I had no excuse not to change the battery.

Well today I’m hella glad I did. One less thing to worry about. A benefit for me was that I cleaned all the connectors real good and tighten everything down. Now even though my 3 year old battery was in good condition, I can tell a difference in the speed which the bike now starts and the brightness of the head light with the motor off. For me, changing the battery was cheap peace of mind.
You never know........ Half way to Sturgis, the new batttery dies. New thing is not always good especially when comes to electrical stuff.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Your call and what makes you feel good. Buddy of mine swapped his out to go on a trip with a new one last year. He got about 100 miles out of town, called and asked me if I would run to his house and get his old battery, he had stopped for something to drink and the battery was dead when he went to start up. Swapped the old one back in and he's still running that one today and has his now new "replaced under warranty" spare in the garage. Me, I run 'em till they die, then find a new one. If I'm on the road I just chalk it up to a little more adventure on the journey.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Whats the saying....."" If it aint broke _____________ ""

Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

I still have the original battery in my 2001 FXDXT. Still cranks strong. I do keep it on a tender over the winter.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Load tester, initial CCA's arent always a good test on a battery, those things pull power for a few seconds and deterrtmines the actual battery strength of the Unit.
Try that, and if your actually concerned and worried, pack your tender with you, or buy those small portable battery booster units that charge your battery in case you go Dead.
Ive seen them for like $30 dollars and fit snugly within the saddle bags

Old 07-13-2009, 04:52 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

May be it just me. People here make such a big deal for a few thousands mile trip within the U.S. If you worry, just carry a cell phone or sat. phone and AAA membership card and American Express. We are NOT in middle of the Amazon jungle for God's sake.

Just get plenty of sleep and have fun. Deal with it as it comes.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

FUNNY ****! Posted to this thread yesterday. Left work last night, the battery in the car was deader than hell. Started fine in the morning, 8 hours later DEAD, wouldn't even crank. Do what you will, but I rode 50 miles each way to get a battery for a buddy a few years back. It does put a downer on the trip. You get out West and you'll be riding farther than 50 miles to find one.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1. No sense throwing out a good battery if it's still running strong.

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
Put it on a load tester and that will tell you if it's going bad. I just replaced my battery on my FXST that was eight years old. It was always on a battery tender when parked and I made sure the terminals were clean. When I put it on a load tester is showed it was time to replace it. Don't take a chance on having it go out on your trip.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I change expendable stuff. Five years is plenty for a battery. I would replace it. Why take a chance especially since you mentioned you ride distances.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement...when???