General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contact Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Contact Lenses

How many of you ride with contacts and how do you keep them from drying out? I have tried them and no matter what, they keep drying out. Do goggles work? Ride a Bagger so I do have windshield.

Attached Thumbnails Contact Lenses-100_1182.jpg  
Old 07-10-2009, 12:27 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blink your eyes.......... I don't really have any problem at all. I am sure sunglasses, goggle and face shield will work. I always wear some eye protection when riding.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I dunno, either you've got the wrong eyewear, or have very sensitive eyes...

W/ or w/out a windshield, I can use those cheap safety glasses in clear or dark tint at just about any store. The fancier the glasses, often the more air gaps to let air in.

So, I'd say try the cheap complete wrap safety glasses first, then try other stuff if you want.

I have a pair of polarized sunglasses that wrap, but still lets too much air in when riding w/out the shield, but are ok if the shield is on.

Then, if you like goggles, you could try em, that's a little much for me.

The other option is getting real motorcycle glasses. Some of them come with removable foam that helps seal the gaps. Some love this stuff, some hate this stuff, just have to see which one you are.

The more expensive kind are from wiley-x or panoptx, plenty of threads on here about both of them. But I recommend trying them on in a store, some HD dealers have them in their store to try on, go to the mfg websites and look for dealers near you.

Alternatively, you can find cheaper biker glasses, think there is/was a forum sponsor that sold some, but unless they have money back guarantee, I'd wait til I could try some on at a rally or something.

I'd start w/ the cheap wrap safety glasses for the time being, until you find something better. Everyone's head is different size, shape, eyes in slightly different location, etc, so no one size fits all here...

Good luck... Oh, occasionally I will get a little red eye, so I keep a bottle of contact specific visine or eye drops, that helps me wash anything out if it gets in there, or refresh them in general...

Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
FATHD99
4th Gear

I ride a fatboy with a shield, and I use cheap safety glasses. They work fine, and fit under the full face.

Maybe you can keep a small bottle of contact solution and re-wet at stops?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have similar issues. The correct glass as the poster above stated make a big difference. Also as he stated getting the proper fit is important as to how well they work. I have tried wiley and a few other higher end brands. I mainly run bobsters now. They are not too expensive depending on what you get and they do have the head band/ goggle option that will help pull the seal into your face more.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife sue to ride passenger all the time with no problem before her surgery. Maybe you need better glasses?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

I ride with contacts and usually don't have a problem until around dusk when the light is changing from day to night or if it is very cold (almost seems to 'freeze' in my eyes). I use polarized sunglasses and if needed re-wetting drops in my eyes for dryness.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:06 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

You must have sensitive eyes or something. No problems with contacts here. I usually wear sunglasses or my Panoptyx.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM
3Deffect
Cruiser

I wear contacts and a good pair of sunglasses and wrap around safety glasses when its dark. I keep drops in my pocket and rewet as needed. When someone sees the drops running down my cheek and comments I tell them one of 2 things. Either I am crying because I am so happy I am not as ugly as you or I tell them I was laughing too much at them on there Goldwings.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM
HarleyCamper
Road Master

I didn't like riding with contacts either. Used to wear clear glasses to cut the wind. Finally bit the bullet and went for lasik surgery. 20/20 vision now, no glasses, no issues.

Quick Reply: Contact Lenses