General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another one!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006 | 11:27 AM
Jezcruzen
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Yet another one!

Hill City man dies in wreck
Motorcyclist loses control on U.S. 501
By Ron Brown
Lynchburg News & Advance
Monday, May 22, 2006

A Lynchburg man died Sunday afternoon after his motorcycle slipped on a patch of oil before sliding into the path of an oncoming vehicle on U.S. 501 near Big Island.

James Troy Franklin III was riding his motorcycle southbound near the intersection of U.S. 501 and Virginia 651 when the accident occurred about 2 p.m.

Franklin lost control of his motorcycle when it slipped on the oil. The motorcycle fell over on its side and crossed the center line before sliding into the path of the other vehicle.

Trooper J.R. Mullins said Franklin, 29, died at the scene.

The driver of the other vehicle, Dawn Rezai of Forest suffered a broken arm as a result of the accident.

Her 14-year-old daughter, who was riding in the passenger front seat, suffered a bump on her head, Mullins said.

I have reliable information that Mr. Franklin was riding a sport bike. While sport bike advocates travel this mountainous, curvy section of highway going to and from the Blue Ridge Parkway, (were they often scare the bejesus out of us old Harley riders as they come blasting past us unannounced), there is no evidense articulated that Mr. Franklin was riding in such a manner. I hope that his family and friends might find strength in enduring his loss.

Old 05-22-2006 | 01:49 PM
redscout
Road Captain
Default RE: Yet another one!

Unfortunately, this stuff happens every day... I thought it was just the non-bikers that got off on making sure every crash was brought to our attention...

IMO, we could leave these out unless there's some valuable lesson we could all learn... and I didn't see it in this story.

Old 05-22-2006 | 03:48 PM
05UltraClassic
Advanced

ORIGINAL: redscout

Unfortunately, this stuff happens every day... I thought it was just the non-bikers that got off on making sure every crash was brought to our attention...

IMO, we could leave these out unless there's some valuable lesson we could all learn... and I didn't see it in this story.
Ditto

Old 05-22-2006 | 03:58 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member

It is tough reading these nearly everyday. Murphy's law in full force.

Old 05-22-2006 | 04:13 PM
Jezcruzen
|
Stellar HDF Member

There is no need for a "lesson" to be imbedded in everything we hear or read. The "value" comes in the heightened safety awareness that news of a crash of this nature produces, even if only temporarily. You are correct - unfortunately this stuff DOES happen every day! It shouldn't!

If you are insinuating that I "got off" of posting news of this crash that occurred here in my hometown over the weekend (like you obviously think others do), then sir I will have to think of you simply as being an a$$. I certainly hope that you didn't intend it to sound that way.

Old 05-22-2006 | 04:44 PM
05UltraClassic
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

There is no need for a "lesson" to be imbedded in everything we hear or read. The "value" comes in the heightened safety awareness that news of a crash of this nature produces, even if only temporarily. You are correct - unfortunately this stuff DOES happen every day! It shouldn't!

If you are insinuating that I "got off" of posting news of this crash that occurred here in my hometown over the weekend (like you obviously think others do), then sir I will have to think of you simply as being an a$$. I certainly hope that you didn't intend it to sound that way.
I think you're over-reacting to his response. It's just depressing to hear and there is already so much of it. I personally do not believe you were trying to get off, but just being informative.

Old 05-22-2006 | 06:52 PM
Jezcruzen
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks

Old 05-22-2006 | 07:04 PM
Danester
Road Master

I've been on 501 before near Lynchburg -- lots of turns and crap to look out for -- usually is a cage that crosses over into your lane on a tight turn -- -doesn't matter what or how he rode, it's a dangerous twisting road --- sorry to hear about the accident..

Old 05-22-2006 | 07:20 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Why do you guys post this nonsense???
People die every day.
Some get murdered, some killed walking down the street, some from disease, and yes, some get killed in traffic accidents.

Old 05-22-2006 | 10:19 PM
redscout
Road Captain

Ok, I guess since it was me that seemed to irritate some, I'll try to be more specific...

I certainly wasn't trying to accuse Jezcruzen of having ulterior motives, other than to express pain from having been close to what seems to have been a horrible accident since I don't know him/her at all, but I also may certainly question the value of this kind of post. I guess what I was saying is that there didn't seem to be anything that could have been done by this particular rider to prevent his own misfortune, at least anything obvious, and as I added originally, if there's not a lesson to be learned, IMO, there's not really a point to reminding us that ride every day how dangerous this sport can be.

I am one of only 2 riders in my entire company, and I couldn't tell you how many of the rest seem to think it's going to change my mind (or whatever their motives are) to relate stories of gruesome death or maiming whenever I ride to work. If they would also add a knowledgeable opinion as to what might have prevented the accident, any one of these people might have done me a service. Not sure that just hearing about them raises our awareness or heightens our safety.

Wasn't trying to pick on anyone. I guess maybe I'd just like some sort of warning that I'm going to read about depressing, sad news if there's not going to be any other information garnered.

I've tried to make sure I added IMO to all this, as that's all it is, and I didn't mean to sound like I was flaming the original poster... After thinking about my response, I think I was just wanting to get other's take on how I felt about it. I guess I suceeded in that, but didn't want to irritate anyone in the process... For that, I apologize.

I always thought I was pretty easy to get along with, but I guess sometimes typing isn't the same as talking...

Quick Reply: Yet another one!