General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Rust

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Brooksy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Nightster Rust

Hi all

I have a black 08 Nightster and from day one have had nothing but trouble with it. Already had new speedo and ECM due to technical faults and now I am suffering with rust and corrosion pretty much everywhere.

The bike has only done 2500 miles (most of which have been to and from the dealer to sort problems) it is kept clean and dry and stored in a garage. I have rust appearing under the paintwork on the fender arms, swingarm and last night noticed paint flaking on the wheel rims. I have already had the rocker covers replaced and the regulator due to corossion issues! I am in the process of trying to sort all this with the dealer I purchased it from, its only 12 months old!!!

I have noticed on some forums that others have experienced similar problems. If you own a Nightster and have had this issue could you please comment. Not only is it interesting to hear other peoples problems but I am looking to print any similar comments off to show to the dealer. Already have a few. If you can help, tell me your story. Cheers all.

Brooksy, England, West Midlands

Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Do you live in a cave by the sea? Just kidding....Sounds like too many things rusting at one time. What else do you keep in the garage? Fertilizers?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How close to the coast are you?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

let's see some pics of the damage.

Could be all that sulfer dioxide from the cargo ships polluting your air.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Monochrome
Road Captain

West Midlands is nowhere near the sea. Have your ridden when the roads are full of salt? Do you clean it, wheels are notorious and you have to keep a close eye on them. If you have cleaned it and maintained it then you should make an issue of the amount of rust with HD. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Ew.....I feel dirty just reading this post. I think I'll go take a shower to get rid of corrosion. Sounds like you've got yer-self a sitch-u-a-shun that needs some reck-tif-fiyun. I'd call customer service in Milwaukee to let them know your problems to see what they are able to do for you.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Hey maybe the bike was held deep in the cargo hole of some rusty old ship when it made the trip over the pond.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Brooksy
Stage II

Thanks for the messages folks. No coast! I live in England right in the middle of the country. They salt the roads over here in winter obviously but not been out on it during that time. All dry miles, only get wet when washed then dried with an air blaster. Im lost as for an explanation other than a "duff un" as we say or just poor quality. Nothing in the garage other than a low output tube heater to keep the damp out and my mates **** but rather reliable Aprillia RSV!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:54 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem with mine. I ride everyday, and never wash it. I hope you get it solved thru the MOCO.. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear of your rust problem. Here are some products that might slow things down a bit. I live on the coast in a very rainy environment and have had great success with ACF-50.

http://www.skygeek.com/corrosion-inh...FSMSagodyj8sKA

Quick Reply: Nightster Rust