Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet
Never
14.85%
Always
61.39%
Only on the highway
2.23%
Sometimes
21.53%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

here in our town I'd say less than 20% wear one and that's mostly crotch rockets..

Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
In Ohio, you're only required to wear a helmet for the first year, or if you're under 18...
And No, I don't wear a helmet...I've never tried to convince someone who wants to wear one that they shouldn't, just wish those same people would return the same courtesy and stop preaching to those who (legally) don't...
I'd ride with ya man ! And I won't preach to ya . Just don't laugh at me when ya see my long hair hangin outta my lid . .................Kevin

Old 07-10-2009, 05:25 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Always wear one here. Sometimes I feel like a ride without one for the heck of it, but bottom line is, if ya get get smacked in noggin, would much sooner have a banged up helmet than a bunger up skull. A non-helmet friend tried to tell me that a study that showed any speed above 7mph, it didnt matter weather you have a helmet on or not as to injury to the skull. What a bunch of b/s that is. If I could run say 20 mph and smack my head into a wall, sooner have the helmet. To each their own.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronH
What he said and my wife is a doctor. So she's seen accidents while covering the emergency room that a guy could have limped away from. Instead he's relearning to walk due to head injuries.
Why does the media and most everyone else, leave out the accidents where the helmet was the cause of serious injury or death?No helmet state.Thankfully!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a helmet when I want and when it serves my purpose. I ride without a helmet more then with a helmet.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've not worn a helmet on a few very hot, humid days, but found I don't enjoy it much if I'll be doing 60 mph or better (which is most of my riding). Once I get to 60, the wind in my hears blocks out pretty much all other noise, so I can't hear much of anything, my eyes water, bugs and road debris hit my face. ...around town, during the day (lots of bugs out when the sun goes down) tooling around at 40-45 mph, it's nice.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I've not worn a helmet on a few very hot, humid days, but found I don't enjoy it much if I'll be doing 60 mph or better (which is most of my riding). Once I get to 60, the wind in my hears blocks out pretty much all other noise, so I can't hear much of anything, my eyes water, bugs and road debris hit my face. ...around town, during the day (lots of bugs out when the sun goes down) tooling around at 40-45 mph, it's nice.
Wear eyewear and your eyes won't water. No need for a FF to prevent that.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM
fxdxt03
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was riding on a back road just after winter thaw a few years ago. still had some sand on it. car in front of me locks them up out of the blue and it catches me off guard. i hit the brakes but im too late. anyway down i go at about 35 mph. i do rember hearing my helmet hit the pavement. thank god my it was not my skull making that loud bang!!
my helmet also keeps my head from burning.(i keep my hair real short in the summer)

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skulnbones
I get what he's saying...if you allow the governement to foot the bill, then you also have to expect they will make the rules.
Thank you. Someone understands.

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
That's the point though. Who is this mysterious government footing the bill ? "We the people...". The government doesn't have a 9-5 job where it makes money to pay for these infrastructures, the people do. So in a sense, the people should be making the rules, and some are trying. You guys just seem to have given up and are ready to let this "government" entity be something more than it should be, some higher power, instead of "by the people, for the people". You and Haus are what people commonly call sheep, those who want to be told how to live so they don't have to make choices for themselves.
Point well taken. But... why should your choice to not wear one which will cost dearly if you were to get in a wreck, cost ME more in insurance premiums? Because that's how it works my friend. Again... I know and understand you want choices, deserve choices... but it's a double edged sword and it's swinging both ways. My choice causes you to lose your choice, your choice causes me and all others to pay more. Someone is going to lose either way you go.

Originally Posted by Grammaton
You're comparing apples and railroad cars, but there are hundreds of head injuries, yes head injuries, on football fields every year.
I wasn't comparing... I was just using this as an example of how people fight change. And yes, there are still head injuries... injuries that can be fixed... not too many that leave you in a wheelchair anymore.

Not wearing your glasses? Claim denied. Run a redlight? Claim denied. Speeding? Claim denied.
I still stand by this one... if your breaking the law in any way, yes your claim should be denied so I don't have to pay for your ignorance to the law.

Statisticaly speaking, increasing your skills will keep you safer than any helmet.
Yeah... cuz when I am looking at my skills class certificate... that stops the cars from blowing red lights, texting or talking on cell phones...

Nothing wrong with obedience, I suppose, but I didn't marry her. You did.

Try hugs.
Glad I am not in your family!

Yes. It's okay to wear a helmet. It isn't about being cool.
It has everything to do with being cool if you are trying to show your kids that wearing a helmet is cool to do. I am not going to set the example for my kids by not wearing a helmet. Because if I do, and they are asked to wear one someday, they will remember that I did and might not think that it is uncool to wear one. Now I am really glad I'm not in your family.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mr Haus
Point well taken. But... why should your choice to not wear one which will cost dearly if you were to get in a wreck, cost ME more in insurance premiums? Because that's how it works my friend. Again... I know and understand you want choices, deserve choices... but it's a double edged sword and it's swinging both ways. My choice causes you to lose your choice, your choice causes me and all others to pay more. Someone is going to lose either way you go.
Why would it cost you more ? Do you have any numbers showing an increase in insurance claim amounts before/after helmet laws were repelled in states similar to your own ? Try to look for the numbers and you might be surprised at the result that there is no increase in cost to insurance companies.

So your choice in the end only results in a loss of freedom to all. Ever hear the expression "Your freedom ends where mine starts ?".

And even if it costs you more, it just costs you more period because people get on motorcycles, and because people walk in the streets without proper attire, and even more, because people used motorised transports period. Where do you draw the line ? Either you're a hypocrite, or you truly believe that we should eliminate each and every risk possible in society today. That means no more motorcycle, no more cars, no more going outside, houses made of soft, non flammable material, with no rough edges or stairs of any kind... No half measures.

While you're at it, why don't you just come breast feed me too, just to make sure I get all the nutrients I need ? Oh sorry, you believe that government is a higher power than the people, so it should be the government that comes to my house and feeds me government approved nutrient juice ?

Originally Posted by Mr Haus
It has everything to do with being cool if you are trying to show your kids that wearing a helmet is cool to do. I am not going to set the example for my kids by not wearing a helmet. Because if I do, and they are asked to wear one someday, they will remember that I did and might not think that it is uncool to wear one. Now I am really glad I'm not in your family.
The world isn't your kid, you don't have to try to be its mother. I think that's your problem, maybe you want to be something you aren't. Raise your kids how you see fit. "It's cool to stay in school" and "D.A.R.E. to keep kids off drugs" all you want with your own family. Don't try to force your morals on the rest of us.

Last edited by KnightWRX; 07-10-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet